Misc: Charging Systems Lucas Dynamo conversion

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi I have just come into a Lucas E3l shell and end plus plate can anyone tell me which plate should be used for a Comet and what it looks like or the part number, I am having the Lucas rebuilt to be 12v so anyone got a photo of the correct part to go through into the timing case and the part number.
Thanks Chris

Chris.R

VOC Member
Here is the plate I have which I find does not fit the aperture in the Comet engine casing it is 38.5mm OD over the mount. I need something shallower that will come up hard on the engine case.

Attachments

• _DSC2006.JPG
    _DSC2006.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 20

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Chris, Sorry you have had no feed back, I don't think many are using these now.
Not sure I can help, But many years ago I had a Miller Thing, That was a dyn' and ign contact points,
I used this on my Comet for some years.
Just to add I think the oil seal must run on the pinion boss ???.
Your end plate I think I have seen on a Twin, But it was a long time ago for me.
These are photos of my Miller and as you can see, There is nowhere for the seal to contact ?.
Good Luck Bill.

Attachments

• DSCN0273.JPG
    DSCN0273.JPG
    390.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN0274.JPG
    DSCN0274.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 21

Chris.R

VOC Member
Thanks for the reply I have been speaking to Dick Weeldon today who I think has an answer I will see him tomorrow evening. I had been told that converting a Miller 6v to 12v was more difficult than doing the same with a Lucas so when I was given a Lucas E3l casing went ahead having it rebuilt to a 12v unit. I assumed it was a simple question then which end plate to use.

My Miller butts up onto the opening in the engine casing when we took the Miller out it was full of oil and there was much oil on the engine where it had been leaking badly.

I was at the Sammy Miller Museum yesterday where I saw a 1952 Comet which had a Lucas Dynamo fitted so it can be done I just do not know how.

Chris

vibrac

VOC Member
One Comet crankcase I bought for £15 years ago had the entire dynamo seal and most of the 'wall' removed (dont ask me why but £15 is fifteen quid I am not arguing) I fitted a dynamo hard up against the cavity which also matched the gear engagement (there was vestigial wall there) I added copious silicone and clamped her down o_O . I intended to get it repaired but it never leaked. And the dynamo stayed dry....

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If your still stuck, Tell me and I will take the one off my Comet, Don't have a clue what I have on there,
It might be like yours, A Twin one ??, But there is no shaft in there !!, Just fitted it for looks,
I had a nice chrome end cap to go with it !.
I wonder if what you need a different shaft ?, To take the Comet Pinion ?.

Chris.R

VOC Member
If your still stuck, Tell me and I will take the one off my Comet, Don't have a clue what I have on there,
It might be like yours, A Twin one ??, But there is no shaft in there !!, Just fitted it for looks,
I had a nice chrome end cap to go with it !.
I wonder if what you need a different shaft ?, To take the Comet Pinion ?.
I have not seen the refurbed Lucas yet, I will have it by tomorrow evening when I go down to collect it from Roger Dale I will know better, The dynamo shaft will be of the taper variety to match the Comet taper pinion that I have.

Chris.R

VOC Member
One Comet crankcase I bought for £15 years ago had the entire dynamo seal and most of the 'wall' removed (dont ask me why but £15 is fifteen quid I am not arguing) I fitted a dynamo hard up against the cavity which also matched the gear engagement (there was vestigial wall there) I added copious silicone and clamped her down o_O . I intended to get it repaired but it never leaked. And the dynamo stayed dry....
P159/160 Know Thy Beast has a plate dimensions given a similar such plate could be made up to fit the Lucas it will need to have a shoulder to drop just into the engine case aperture, of course allowing the lip seals to fit perhaps 3/32 would be enough for the shoulder and the lip thickness. Just thinking!!!

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hello Chris, Sorry you have had no feed back, I don't think many are using these now.
Not sure I can help, But many years ago I had a Miller Thing, That was a dyn' and ign contact points,
I used this on my Comet for some years.
Just to add I think the oil seal must run on the pinion boss ???.
Your end plate I think I have seen on a Twin, But it was a long time ago for me.
These are photos of my Miller and as you can see, There is nowhere for the seal to contact ?.
Good Luck Bill.
Correct. The seal does run on the pinion boss - just like an Alton when fitted to a comet.