LED Fluorescent Lights for Garage

Normski

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I shall be updating my garage lighting soon - has anyone experience of LED strip light fittings who can pass on any hints or tips to help me get the best fitted or whether they are in fact good to use.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Led shop lights are brilliant. They are quiet, no buzzing like florescents. I have fixtures that are four foot long with twin strips of lights and the ones I chose plug in to each other at the ends. These can have eight units in a row probably long enough for most shops and they only need one electrical connection to any one of the fixtures to operate all of them. I am much pleased with them and will be replacing all my florescents.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Same as Mike
On the property here I have replaced 4 and 8 foot fluorescents with the LED strip style lights.
In the barn 9 - 4 ft doubles and 8 - 4 ft singles
In the garage/workshop 12 - 4ft doubles and 2 - 4ft singles
In the carport 7 - 4ft doubles.

as Mike says no buzzing, great light, all just start right up in cold weather, and a much lower operating cost.

Once you change to standard outlet plugs no more "hard wiring" all becomes just plug and play, as they say.

royrobertson

VOC Member
I recently changed all my old fluorescent tubes for LEDs. Just the tubes not the fittings. Mine came with a replacement starter so were very easy to change. The double six ft ones had an inbuilt ballast resistor which had to be disconnected and rewired as per the instructions. Steer clear of the Warm White ones. I think the Daylight ones are the best light for a workshop. I also changed the machine Bulbs (lathe etc) for LEDS.
There is a considerable electricity saving and a better light. About £7.80 to £12.00 each depending on size for the tubes and £3.00 for the bulbs.
You can't have too much light at my age!
Cheers Roy

clevtrev

VOC Member
I shall be updating my garage lighting soon - has anyone experience of LED strip light fittings who can pass on any hints or tips to help me get the best fitted or whether they are in fact good to use.
Forget the strip lights, go for 600mm x 600mm panel ones.

G

Graham Smith

The existing LED fittings in my workshop weren’t really bright enough over the workbench, so I installed one of these last weekend.

Under £30 for a 7800 lumen fitting, it’s 6’ and is just what I needed.

Normski

Non-VOC Member
Thank you for your replies, you confirm that it’s the right thing to do. I plan to use 5’ strips across the hydraulic ramp front and back which is what I have at the moment with non LED fluorescents and that gives good shadow free light to work by. I’ll fit a panel LED for the workbench. Good to have the warning about warm white ones too.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
We have 12 volt led strip lights in an off grid cabin. These are adhesive backed strips that run across the cabin on the truss bottom chord, exposed truss ceiling, 4' centre trusses.
After years of struggling with various expensive battery light options, non of which really worked, the LEDs have been a godsend.
As Graham says, it's the total lumens that make the difference, not the light colour choice. These are in warm white and on a dimmer. We run them at about half power. On full power it's light enough for surgery, although we only have fish knives there so we avoid that.
The warm white seems a little easier on the eyes, or maybe it's just similar to what we are accustomed to with incandescent. For a workshop I would be happy with cold or warm white as long as there is plenty of it in assembly areas.

Glen

Last edited: