LED Fluorescent Lights for Garage

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Depending on your set up. Consider fitting one or two with an emergency backup fitted in case of power outage.
For power failures I just go out behind my shop and start up the 16.5kw genset. It runs two houses and all that goes with them but won't pull the load at startup on the lathe or the mill or the big compressor. Longest it has run on one power outage was just over 48 hours. V4 flathead Wisconsin powered and plumbed right into the gas mains. If the gas goes down which so far it never has there is a little 2800W job that will keep the essentials going! I used to live in the country but civilisation has crept somewhat closer over the past 50 years.

flxible

VOC Member
When I finally realized I had reached the point I was strapping on my battery powered headlight every single time I went out in the shop to do something, I asked my job electrician (I'm a house builder by trade) for recommendations.
He suggested these 4' long, 2 element LED lights, said he gets them at the local Ocean State Job Lots, a chain store hawking overstock wares for $12 apiece.
I hung a series of them about 6' apart, the shop is about 16' wide; I've found them very adequate.
Best-
George
IMG_2476 (1).jpg

andrew peters

VOC Member
For power failures I just go out behind my shop and start up the 16.5kw genset. It runs two houses and all that goes with them but won't pull the load at startup on the lathe or the mill or the big compressor. Longest it has run on one power outage was just over 48 hours. V4 flathead Wisconsin powered and plumbed right into the gas mains. If the gas goes down which so far it never has there is a little 2800W job that will keep the essentials going! I used to live in the country but civilisation has crept somewhat closer over the past 50 years.
when we are all running electric powered vehicles and gas (petrol) is no more I guess when the power goes out you'll have to fire up the hamster wheel, better start the breeding farm soon mate..

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Me too. Bought two more 5 foot LED battens from Screwfix yesterday. One will replace an old fluorescent tube and the other will increase the available light. I've also bought a PIR switch for around £10 with the idea that it will automatically turn on a light when opening the garage door if arriving home in the dark.
The PIR switch works OK. One downside is that the maximum on time is 7 minutes so if you fall asleep in the workshop you will wake up in the dark.;) I've also wired in an override switch to the PIR, belt, and braces. The fluorescent tube was not as old as I thought. I can't bear to throw good kit away so I've wired that up in the loft to replace a small tungsten lamp. I don't go up there very often as it is mostly things that I thought might be useful one day. A lot of it has been there for 15 years.:rolleyes:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
My garage mezzanine has been loaded up for more than forty years when I moved it out of the old air raid shelter my grandparents built as it's all been kicking around for more than fifty years, so projects I have an abundance of but the time left is the worrying part.
Is it time to make wills ? only have a couple of bikes in my own name, the rest are split up between the children & grand children.
bananaman.

Bob.theblockie

Forum User
VOC Member
Thank you for your replies, you confirm that it’s the right thing to do. I plan to use 5’ strips across the hydraulic ramp front and back which is what I have at the moment with non LED fluorescents and that gives good shadow free light to work by. I’ll fit a panel LED for the workbench. Good to have the warning about warm white ones too.
I have changed all the lights in my house & shed to LED's and immediately noticed a significant drop in power usage. My shed is all 4' tubes which were replaced in 2 stages. The first had me disconnecting the ballast & re-wiring direct to each end of the fittings. With the second lot, all I had to do was remove the starter. They throw enough light & come on instantly, the only problem I have is that some of the TV, channels won't work when the lights are on! I suspect it's the first stage that causes the problem.

royrobertson

VOC Member
My instructions say wire to one end of the fittings only after removing the ballast resistor etc. Perhaps this is your problem.
Merry Christmas Every Body.
Cheers Roy

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
I do hope they they last longer than many of the LED bulbs. Even from `reputable' manufacturers some last hours rather than 1000's of hours. I've taken to writing the installation date on the necks!
Strangely, the spotlight types (both ceiling & reflector `R' types) seem to be much more reliable!