Kubota Alternator

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Driving off the crank with the original Kubota pully it is being driven at approx' 1: 0.9. This is not cutting the mustard for me, any other figures ( related to crank rev's ) from other Kubota users.
Thanks

timetraveller

VOC Member
When you write Kubota do you mean the rather small alternators which were designed just to keep the battery charged on Kubotal powered machinery or the larger alternators, also used on Kubota engined ride on lawn mowers etc. The latter have a diameter of aboiut four inches and can produce 40 amps. They are usually marked ND for Nippon Denso. I now provide those for 'Walkernator' kits and on twins they run at double the engine speed. On Comets, due to restriction on the space in which I can fit the pulley diameters they only run at just over engine speed. Several people have used the small ones but they were never meant to provde light, indicators, heated gloves etc.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When you write Kubota do you mean the rather small alternators which were designed just to keep the battery charged on Kubotal powered machinery or the larger alternators, also used on Kubota engined ride on lawn mowers etc. The latter have a diameter of aboiut four inches and can produce 40 amps. They are usually marked ND for Nippon Denso. I now provide those for 'Walkernator' kits and on twins they run at double the engine speed. On Comets, due to restriction on the space in which I can fit the pulley diameters they only run at just over engine speed. Several people have used the small ones but they were never meant to provde light, indicators, heated gloves etc.
I like the sound of that Norman, What sort of price does that work out to.
Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Hi Bill, do you still have a kit on the shelf not fitted? If so then with a minor change the Nippon Denso fits into the same kit as the earlier Iskra 30 amp alternators. If you only need the alternator then the price of them is a bit variable. I buy them on line but a few years ago the kit car chaps found out about these ND alternators and the price shot up. I have to wait until I find some at a sensible price which is typically about £80. If I just go and buy one then they can be nearly £400. If you need a whole kit with one of the alternators then I try to do that at £400 but I have to get the alternators in before I am sure of the price. If you want to have a go at finding the alternator yourself try typing '40A Nippon Denso alternator' into a search engine. They are slightly longer than the Iskra ones but smaller in diameter and have the regulator built in so an easier wiring job. If you get one but cannot get the wiring diagram then I could send you a copy of that.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Norman, Just trying to think ahead,
This stuff is going to be hard to get in years to come,
Just don't like the Alton thingy, Never had one, Just my silly thoughts.
I have 2 of yours for my Comets,
But still got the bodge up of a Mini Car Alternator on my Special, Since the 70 s !.
So if I had one it would be the Kit.
But I use front heads on the Twins ?.
I like the Kubota thingy , Got a Mcdouglator on the L/ning.
Let us know when your up and running.
Cheers Bill.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
My 40A Kubota is belt driven from the crank and runs at nearly twice crank speed. Had no charging problems. Have electric start and battery powered electronic ignition but don't use many other electrical accessories, although I am confident it could handle more.
Ignition warning light goes out above 800rpm.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Bill, two front heads is not a problem and as for being up and running well; currently I am making/ assembling 21 JE steering head kits, some with complete sets of front and rear dampers etc, steering dampers etc and 20 Hydraulic steering damper kits to fit standard front ends. Some of the bits are machined and pressed together, others are still to be made by the firms who do the work for me. You let me know when you need a kit but not in the next couple of months.

brian gains

VOC Member
My 40A Kubota is belt driven from the crank and runs at nearly twice crank speed. Had no charging problems. Have electric start and battery powered electronic ignition but don't use many other electrical accessories, although I am confident it could handle more.
Ignition warning light goes out above 800rpm.
Have been advised that the crank speed on mine should be upped and I was thinking of something like ths. I think I can knock one up on the lathe but have you seen the ££ of billet aluminium.

Norman, you pointed out the limited loads required of the 'pancake' Kubota alt' when installed on the tractor. I don't know what they rev too but have been advised that you can push them well beyond the limit of a twin. I've not removed the crank drive pulley to see exactly how it is fitted but it looks as if it is not splined and relies solely on clamping force of nut , not a huge amount of torque going through it and I guess the alt drive belt slips before anything else goes walkies.

Bill: is your crank drive pully 'off the shelf' or custom.

ps Norman, did Jordan manage to source a replacement main shaft for the Burman box.