Kubota Alternator

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bill, I should have paid more attention when in Wagrain, but looking at the photos that accompanied this post, can we presume the gears in dynamo housing recess is your electric start mechanism, if so what are you able to tell us about it. I have searched this forum for any previous posts that you might have made, but am unable to find any information.
Hi Peter, I think I have covered it before but can't remember the title!

The gear you can see is the end of a NIppon Denso starter as fitted to a BMW F800 (and probably many Jap bikes). It drives through one reduction gear to a ring gear behind the clutch which has a sprag clutch in the centre. The original dynamo mounting has always been missing from my engine so it is mounted along with the reduction gear to the aluminium angle bracket you can just see in the picture. The ring gear, reduction gear and sprag are all from a Suzuki 800 V twin (Marauder is it?).

It works very well using the valve lifter for initial turnover and currently powered by a cheap LiFe battery.

It has already outlasted the several attempts at using the Grosset starter which really didn't enjoy life on my very non-standard bike!

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Bill, yes I thought it would have been covered before, but I did a brief search using your name and electric start, but it drew a blank.