Jig to Hold Head in Lathe

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Cyborg, the critical thing with typical Sunnen cylinder hones is they effectively only got 2 stones plus 2 wipers made of brass or some such. Sunnen warns about exclusively use just Sunnen hone oil - in hope and a lot of faith that stones and brass wipers will wear at same rate so as to have a 4 lines contact and hopefully roundness. So in case of the Jaguar block my bet the company used any other hone oil for cost cutting or whatever, not a matter of liner deformation, dry pressed in liner in Jags, or no liner at all. My production 6 stone hone remedied that flaw in a few minutes, could feel the chatter bodily as I used a mobile hone equipment. So no way I´d have that type of Sunnen for cylinder jobs, you´d be safer with Indian 4 stone hones like in link below. Last year I got a 5 stone hone from China for cylinder jobs at reasonable money. Seems they have good reason to specify a multitude of stones when machining big bores for all sorts of industry needs.
The small Sunnen types are a different thinking, only one stone is possible at small sizes, so on opposite side there must be brass guides for preventing chatter, centering and roundness. Again, for lower links honing is one way but not the most practical or cheapest. Bearing seats, and definitely in Vincents , don´t get honed typically, just fine bored. And in our case line reaming is the most economic way, in time and costs too, even with new reamer compared to Sunnen money. The reamer has got some more uses once in your household.
The thing about out of round is an interesting case you will know from sheet metal drilling with spiral drill: You will have seen a kind of triangle shape with rounded edges, not a round hole , when the drill is relieved a bit too much. So you will get same measured diameters at any position, the diameter is that of the drill certainly. But provided the drill does not cut dramatically oversize from poor sharpening you cannot get the shank of the drill enter the sheet metal hole. Reason: The drill got two flutes , not 4 or more, so poor centering action . Drills with 3 flutes are better - or deep hole power coolant drills with carbide tips got one single cutting tip but get centered by the rest of the circumference of the carbide top - a very different kind of tech.
So this is one example of same diameter shapes but no roundness , with 3 or 5 or 7 whatever "lobes" in a hole , a flaw you cannot easily measure with internal mics, two point or three point, difficult to measure but there ! You´d get your mill and lever indicator in the spindle for detecting the "lobes" . As I had all my professional life in injection mould tooling lots of ejector pin reamed holes to do, typically with solid HSS reamers, spiral flutes mostly, starting with 3 flutes from 1 mm up , all sizes. Common reamers got symmetric flutes, meaning equal angles between cutting edges. Consequence from this you could have spiral shapes in the holes like when looking into a rifle barrel. The reamer could be pushed through up to its shank but not more and the ejector pin would not fit either. So for removing that rifle shape you got a straight flute reamer out and run it through the hole. Modern high precision reamers, mainly carbide types, got the uneven angle geometry for perfect roundness, see photo of a few types below. That is why I warn from getting adjustable reamers with even spaced blades - useless !!
And no, I don´t need surface test equipment, got precision eyesight, see lapped conrods below. And judgements about reaming operation accuracy may reflect the quality and condition of reamers used , not about suitability of these tools. Plus you can save costs for a Sunnen honing machine which is unlikely to be available in a typical Vincent shed I´d think.

Vic

typical Sunnen cylinder hones, 2 stones, 2 brass wipers:

Indian 4 stones hone:

lapped conrod:
fertiggeläppt.JPG

P1050464.JPG

unevenly spaced reamers:
P1050784.JPG

Magnetoman

VOC Member
the critical thing with typical Sunnen cylinder hones is they effectively only got 2 stones plus 2 wipers made of brass or some such.
In the interest of correcting incorrect information for those open to learning, the next photograph is an end-on view of my Sunnen AN-600 cylinder hone, showing it has 4 stones and 4 shoes.

SunnenAN600.jpg

So this is one example of same diameter shapes but no roundness , with 3 or 5 or 7 whatever "lobes" in a hole , a flaw you cannot easily measure with internal mics, two point or three point, difficult to measure but there !
Although the above might sound plausible, it is geometrically incorrect, so it is also practically incorrect. I leave proof of this as an exercise for the reader. As I wrote previously, with 2-point and 3-point bore micrometers it's possible to determine a cylinder is round to no worse than 0.0001". For anyone who doesn't believe this, this is science, not religion, so beliefs don't matter. Only facts do.

I don´t need surface test equipment, got precision eyesight, see lapped conrods below.
Right, we don't need no stinkin' gauges to see the difference between 20 µinch that's too rough for a race, 10 µinch that's just right, or 1 µinch that's too smooth. Well, actually, misplaced hubris aside, we do need them. That said, without gauges we know exactly what we have, whereas all-too-often gauges tell us things we'd rather not have known.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Whoa, 1400 cc!

Glen B., what is the stroke on the Glenli?
A measly 92 x 102.
Terry and I talked about pushing it out further but piston speed got in the way.
The cam is made for max power @ 6500+- which means it hits 7000 , about max for 102mm stroke.
Also, the pin is close enough to the flywheel OD (any more and the flywheel yields to the press fit), however the flywheel OD was a bit too big for the cases as is. The 120mm stroke must utilize some larger flywheel OD and larger cases?

Glen

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Vic, I’m not an expert on bearings, but to me those look like the finish is too fine. Perhaps causing rollers to skate instead of roll? This is a new Norton Manx big end outer race.

3850EA47-577C-4DC9-B593-F05D11E76FD4.jpeg

oexing

VOC Member
Ouch, that looks too rough for me, just circular ground. Look at any needle or roller bearing inner race for suitable finish, that is my orientation about surface quality - no surface test equipment at home. In your place I´d do a lapping job on this conrod, but then it will be oversize for the rest of the bigend set you got. A used conrod will show polished surface where the rollers go, so I don´t think this to be a factor for skidding rollers. As to skidding there, it will be in no load areas, so no problem at all. There is some oil film for this reason. There is heavy skidding in another place with high load in an engine: The cam-and-follower assembly sees high skidding at high loads , is allright with decent oil supply, even though there is no rolling element between components. No, skidding is not a headache for me in needle or roller bearings, but I would not accept that Manx rod finish, reason for returning it.

Vic

litnman

VOC Member
A measly 92 x 102.
Terry and I talked about pushing it out further but piston speed got in the way.
The cam is made for max power @ 6500+- which means it hits 7000 , about max for 102mm stroke.
Also, the pin is close enough to the flywheel OD (any more and the flywheel yields to the press fit), however the flywheel OD was a bit too big for the cases as is. The 120mm stroke must utilize some larger flywheel OD and larger cases?

Glen
Glen,
I agree with most of what you say except a 120mm stroke with some work will fit in the crankcase. Not my design but I will finish it, just to interesting to scrap out.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
About 1974 I was once talking to the guy who at that time owned Ian Ashwell's SATAN and he had it out to around 1650.
I cannot remember the exact dimensions but it was something like 104 x 104, he had welded up the stud holes in the crankcases and head and moved them outwards, made his own barrels I think and as it was a sprint bike cut off the section where tappets are and was running open pushrods.