A: Oil Pipework In line oil feed filter

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You hear horror stories about cleaning out oil tanks, but I've had good results cleaning all the ones I've done........The worst one was probably the one on the twin racer, in my pic on the left......It had a layer of thick sludge on the bottom........Soaked it in good degreaser and a hand full of sharp edged 1/2" BSF nuts, worked it back and fourth over a few days, then flushed it many times with clean petrol, and it came up nice and clean........No problem.
Likewise, I use small square nuts commonly used in fencing, 100 of them, I count them in and then count them out, fishing them out with a telescopic magnet, as you are only really concerned with the sludge on the bottom I work on that predominately, and if you have left the headstock in place it is better than any Bullworker and a lot cheaper then joining a Gym. I did think about using the cement mixer method, but I reckoned that even on the slowest speed the nuts would centrifuge into one place and achieve very little, so I made my own crude device with a crank handle a few pieces of metal and a lump of wood, now I can clamp my device into a Workmate bench, attach the UFM to it with small ratchet straps and swish away in either direction to my hearts content, it seems to work a treat and looks squeaky clean inside, I have done a few and never had a problem afterwards.

vibrac

VOC Member
The bottom line is the bikes are not used a lot like they were day in day out and yes a magnetic drain plug is a good idea and the modern filter in the chamber is an improvement other than that I leave lubrication as Phil or any 50's or before designer intended. What I do do nowadays is to change the mineral oil regularly at a rate you would have considered profligate 40 years ago. If I have a crap car or mower a squeaking hinge I dump it in that , I use non detergent and it rarely looks like the black gunge that used to come out at oil changes back then. I change the R on the heirlooms & racers as well but all the old R oil goes in lubricating the lathe mill or drill magic stuff

Cyborg

VOC Member
If you have T30AS fitted I can not see what the problem is as that has a Brass Gauze fitted to it.
I don’t have a T30AS... at least I haven’t found one in the boxes yet. Anyway... thanks for pointing that out. Although it stings a little bit at times, it’s always nice to have someone come along and point out the obvious.

sidmadrid

VOC Member
They are well made, a labyrinth of magnets, picks up the ferrous detritus (and other ) bits. I will take my spare to bits and photograph it to amaze you. Some Morgan racer chaps have them and strip them after every meeting and pore over the entrails. Stitch in time.

sidmadrid

VOC Member
AE41E421-BC93-49EA-8957-840162473348.jpeg
usually plumbed into the oil return.