A: Oil Pipework In line oil feed filter

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Having spent the last week removing all sorts of interesting looking particles from my oil tank, I’m wondering if anyone here has added an inline filter. Given the type of oil pump, I wouldn’t be inclined to add anything with a paper element that would restrict supply. Most newer British motorcycles have a screen to strain out the larger lumps, so thinking a small inline canister, but with a screen large enough to flow enough oil so as to not cause any problems.... like making the pump want to suck air along the shaft from the worm gear. Maybe incorporate a couple of rare earth magnets. Anything to keep some of the abrasive material from lapping in the oil pump and speeding up the sumping. Out off all the crap that was in there, I can’t say there was one piece that I would want to see go through my new pump.
Comments? Am I missing anything?

Comet Rider

VOC Member
On both my Comet and Rapide I have followed aircraft principals and filter the return line, before it goes over the heads, so you have fairly clean oil gong back to the tank.
On the Comet I have a "Hi-de-hi" filter unit, which uses the element from Triumph triple/Rocket 3
On the Rapide I have installed a unit from D&C Classic M/Cycles http://www.dcclassicmotorcycles.co.uk/parts/oil_filtration/oil_filtration.htm

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks for the replies...
I still think I would like to have a screen in the feed line. When cleaning the tank, I checked some of the primordial slime to see how much of it would stick to a magnet. Roughly 98%. It makes sense to have clean oil returning to the tank and also makes sense to filter it before it feeds the heads so the resulting pressure doesn’t increase the flow to the rockers too much. If I was using a new oil tank or was positive nothing other than oil was ever going to enter the feed pipe, I would just rely on filtering the return. Maybe it has more to do with the tank sitting, but it looked like a lot of the shards were the result of corrosion caused by condensation. Less likely that would occur now given it should receive better care, but without disemboweling the tank completely, I can’t guarantee there aren’t one or two left lurking in there. In theory they should just settle at the bottom of the pond and not make it up through the holes in that cigar tube that sits over the outlet. Although.... in this one, those holes are very close to the bottom.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I think I remember some riders hanging a magnet from the oil filler cap where the returning oil would flow over it. This would catch the iron bits that made it through all the bearings. :p

Also, there are sump drain plugs with imbedded magnets available occasionally.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I think I remember some riders hanging a magnet from the oil filler cap where the returning oil would flow over it. This would catch the iron bits that made it through all the bearings. :p

Also, there are sump drain plugs with imbedded magnets available occasionally.
Thanks for mentioning that. I’m short one sump drain plug and have a surplus of rare earth magnets that would do nicely, so can sink one into whatever plug I end up with.

greg brillus

VOC Member
You hear horror stories about cleaning out oil tanks, but I've had good results cleaning all the ones I've done........The worst one was probably the one on the twin racer, in my pic on the left......It had a layer of thick sludge on the bottom........Soaked it in good degreaser and a hand full of sharp edged 1/2" BSF nuts, worked it back and fourth over a few days, then flushed it many times with clean petrol, and it came up nice and clean........No problem.

brian gains

VOC Member
i read that it is not unusual for the chain oil feed to be blocked off, that would make a good location for a magnetic 'sump' plug?.