Ignition coils for Grosset set up

vince998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Is a KVF sounding better and better?

Not as long as there are "bikes" out there running Francois electronic distributor successfully ("bikes" because i believe he makes them for many makes)

What else would i do in my "vincent" phases?:confused:

Plug & play´s over-rated anyway at todays fuel prices :D

minivin

VOC Member
Is a KVF sounding better and better?

Unfortunately I must defend Francois in that I have fitted coils that he does not recommend, does not get any simpler in that I have produced the same fault as people before I, just that maybe my bringing this subject up will hopefully supply a source of coils for people that will provide an ignition system that is nye-on faultless.

minivin

VOC Member
HI,.
If you are stuck ,I have somewhere in the work shop a small coil that I used to have fitted underneath the mag cowl of my twin, pledase let me know if it is of any use to you.
norm.

Thanks for the support Norm, unfortunately due to my set-up I need two seperate single output coils...... that's if I aint fried the main unit :D getting closer to me attending the White Horse Rally in the Land Rover :rolleyes: however I will have the added benefit of a ready prepared tent and the sound track of a V8 :cool:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Horses for courses

A friend was fond of saying "you're flogging a mort cheval (no attempt made at a French accent) there, mate". It was my first exposure to Franglais. And if you don't like it, follow my wife's advice: sur votre velo, raie de soleil!
I fitted a flashing red LED light, about £3, in line of sight as I dismounted, to remind me that I'd only stopped to motor, not switched off the ignition.

I asked Glenn about this auto-turn off feature and it appears it was a fantasy of mine. So, unlike the mighty magneto, it does have to be turned off. He pointed out that Francois has an advert in the May MPH and I could get the answer from la bouche de cheval, if I wanted.

Apologies for any inconvenience I may have caused. What other fantasies of mine are you going to expose?

clevtrev

VOC Member
Note for Bruce, the auto turn off feature was indeed present on an earlier Grosset ignition. The one using a Bosch ignition unit, coupled with a modified car distributor. And, Yes, Glenn had one of those.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Note for Bruce, the auto turn off feature was indeed present on an earlier Grosset ignition. The one using a Bosch ignition unit, coupled with a modified car distributor. And, Yes, Glenn had one of those.

I feel Vin-dicated!

vince998

VOC Member
Unfortunately I must defend Francois in that I have fitted coils that he does not recommend, does not get any simpler in that I have produced the same fault as people before I, just that maybe my bringing this subject up will hopefully supply a source of coils for people that will provide an ignition system that is nye-on faultless.

I´m of the same opinion:rolleyes:, but has anyone actually solved thier ignition problem when using Francios kit?

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
HI,
Roger and I have used Francois ignition system on our twins for many years now, using a pair of coils of a honda black bird , we have had no problems, appart from on the earlier units that had a small lead fitted for a detachable LED timing light, Unfortunetly water had a habit 0f getting into the plug and shorting out the system. The cure for which was to remove the lead ,and escapulate the LED into the end cap ,thus completly water proofing the unit.
AS far as we a concerned Francois system is a true fit a forget system, and would recomend it to any body.
stumpy lord

minivin

VOC Member
The saga continues.

I have contacted Kirkby Rowbotham who unfortunately could not assist, but pointed me towards Paul Goff and www.WeMoto.com. I have phoned We Moto but the sales assistant could not assist, so I have not emailed their technical assistant. Paul Goff only does twin-output.

I'm going to see if I can contact Boyer tomorrow to see if they have any options......