Ignition coils for Grosset set up

minivin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the update Trev, shall keep an eye for hopefully a post on here soon :cool: Have done some research and found a few Honda coils that have the potential, but waiting for a reponse on Primary Resistance values.

minivin

VOC Member
Yep, that's how it would be.

Darn, been asking a few companies to give me details on the ohmage of their new coils, none responded so far. Guess they don't want my money!

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
HI,.
If you are stuck ,I have somewhere in the work shop a small coil that I used to have fitted underneath the mag cowl of my twin, pledase let me know if it is of any use to you.
norm.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
See http://www.accel-motorcycle.com/Pro...inID=6754&majID=675&selection=&minselection=3

It correlates ohm values and HD models, which may be of some help.

Quick question which may bring some wise solutions.

I have a twin spark F. Grosset ignition system on the Comet and unluckily I fitted Dyna coils before it become known they poss a problem. It would seem that they are now dying and I need to fit some 3.0 to 5.0 Ohm coils in their place.

What coils have other people used (single output is my requirement as I have a two-coil set up), and where did you purchase them?

Down to only a horrid Honda Benley to keep me on the road at present :( however it's more reliable than the BMW, Land Rover or Vinny:D

vince998

VOC Member
Dynas

Hi Minivin,

Both dad and I run 5 Ohm Dyna coils, mine with single output, and my dad's with twin output.
Mines been fitted for 4 years, and dad's for over 5 years, both without problems. Dyna do do a range of different primary resistances to suit all applications. I used to use Dyna gear on my drag racer, which ran fine for nearly 10 years without any problems. The only comment I will make is that the Dyna kit can be sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

Neil

I´ve been running the green Dynas (3 ohm i think) on my D shadow for 8-9 years now. I´ve got 2 double coils (for twin plug heads) originally mounted under/on the top tube directly over the heads, now fitted side by side where the original horn was(insulation in the horn broke down so it had to go anyway. Amazing how quick you can get a tank off when you think the bikes going to go up in flames :) . I had to grind some of the plastic of the sides to get them to fit under the tank originally, but apparantly without detriment.
To start off with, i was running a self made twin points distributor, but for the last 4-5 years i´ve had one(or more as the case may be) of francois units fitted, running a wasted spark system. The coils have had a really hard life in all weathers,above the heads, in front of the heads etc and i´ve never had a single problem with them.
I´ve had the electronic distributor fail a few times (think i´ve found the problem now, battery positive terminal shorting to earth intermittantly (maybe), time will tell), and after having the coils tested on various occasions, gave up blaming them.
After reading the comments in the forum, i´m now not sure if the coils are not to blame for the distributor breakdowns. I know the team Lord had similar problems and always carry a spare electronics end cap for the Francois system with them (as i do to).
Has anyboby else had similar problems, AND FOUND THE CAUSE? (i must have gone through 6-8 distributors up to now, and am feeling quite guilty as Francois always replaces the parts without quibble (and won´t accept a penny for his time or material), and i´m pretty sure Francois or his fine equipment is not to blame.
The dynamo is a Lucas E3L (12V) and i thought voltage peaks from this could have been causing the fault (three distributors broke down straight after/during hosing the bike down i.e. wouldn´t start again)
The distributor is wired directly to the battery (over a switch as instructed by Francois) although the power to the coils comes from the ignition switch(series "D" remenber) as coils only recieve earth over the distributor.
Can anyone help??

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Distributor failures

I´ve been running the green Dynas (3 ohm i think) on my D shadow for 8-9 years now. I´ve got 2 double coils (for twin plug heads) originally mounted under/on the top tube directly over the heads, now fitted side by side where the original horn was(insulation in the horn broke down so it had to go anyway. Amazing how quick you can get a tank off when you think the bikes going to go up in flames :) . I had to grind some of the plastic of the sides to get them to fit under the tank originally, but apparantly without detriment.
To start off with, i was running a self made twin points distributor, but for the last 4-5 years i´ve had one(or more as the case may be) of francois units fitted, running a wasted spark system. The coils have had a really hard life in all weathers,above the heads, in front of the heads etc and i´ve never had a single problem with them.
I´ve had the electronic distributor fail a few times (think i´ve found the problem now, battery positive terminal shorting to earth intermittantly (maybe), time will tell), and after having the coils tested on various occasions, gave up blaming them.
After reading the comments in the forum, i´m now not sure if the coils are not to blame for the distributor breakdowns. I know the team Lord had similar problems and always carry a spare electronics end cap for the Francois system with them (as i do to).
Has anyboby else had similar problems, AND FOUND THE CAUSE? (i must have gone through 6-8 distributors up to now, and am feeling quite guilty as Francois always replaces the parts without quibble (and won´t accept a penny for his time or material), and i´m pretty sure Francois or his fine equipment is not to blame.
The dynamo is a Lucas E3L (12V) and i thought voltage peaks from this could have been causing the fault (three distributors broke down straight after/during hosing the bike down i.e. wouldn´t start again)
The distributor is wired directly to the battery (over a switch as instructed by Francois) although the power to the coils comes from the ignition switch(series "D" remenber) as coils only recieve earth over the distributor.
Can anyone help??

Hi,
The only problem I could possibly think of would be due to the current draw on the 3 Ohm coil, which maybe causing condensor breakdown. In our application we used 5 Ohm coils which reduces the current draw by nearly 50% to a little over 2.5A static. When the engine is running the current draw is much lower, as there is not a contstant draw due to the opening/closing of the points or switching of the transistor.
This is all based on the typical 14.3V which should be the ideal charging voltage on a 12V system, which is a point that many forget when doing their calculations on current draw.:rolleyes:

Best of luck
Neil

vince998

VOC Member
Hi,
The only problem I could possibly think of would be due to the current draw on the 3 Ohm coil, which maybe causing condensor breakdown. In our application we used 5 Ohm coils which reduces the current draw by nearly 50% to a little over 2.5A static. When the engine is running the current draw is much lower, as there is not a contstant draw due to the opening/closing of the points or switching of the transistor.
This is all based on the typical 14.3V which should be the ideal charging voltage on a 12V system, which is a point that many forget when doing their calculations on current draw.:rolleyes:

Best of luck
Neil

Hi Neil,
Do they use condensors in electronic ignition?
I put the power draw theory to Francois (two double 3 ohm dyna coils running wasted spark must be drawing a fair bit of current), but he says others are running the same setup without problems?
As far as i can work out, the current to earth from the coils over the distributor must be earthing over a secondary switch (similar theory to a solenoid, just in electronic form, "he imagines, in his totally closed to all things electronical brain") :)
Almost (this is the problem, every fault has been different, when only slightly) every time i´ve had a problem, the resistance to earth on measuring, with the distributor "open" has been increased. i.e. no spark!!