Ignition coils for Grosset set up

minivin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Quick question which may bring some wise solutions.

I have a twin spark F. Grosset ignition system on the Comet and unluckily I fitted Dyna coils before it become known they poss a problem. It would seem that they are now dying and I need to fit some 3.0 to 5.0 Ohm coils in their place.

What coils have other people used (single output is my requirement as I have a two-coil set up), and where did you purchase them?

Down to only a horrid Honda Benley to keep me on the road at present :( however it's more reliable than the BMW, Land Rover or Vinny:D

wparr2

VOC Hon. Technical Officer
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Re:ignition coils for Grosset ignition

I've had problems with Dyna coils too!

So I fitted a Suzuki coil (Suzuki part no. 33420-48B00, this is actually a Denso coil 129700-1480), this had a resistance of 3.8 ohms.

And all is well for over 3 years.

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
When the coils on the twin died, i put in a set of Boyer Branson coils at 5 ohms, so far so good.

Chris

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Coils

Hi Minivin,

Both dad and I run 5 Ohm Dyna coils, mine with single output, and my dad's with twin output.
Mines been fitted for 4 years, and dad's for over 5 years, both without problems. Dyna do do a range of different primary resistances to suit all applications. I used to use Dyna gear on my drag racer, which ran fine for nearly 10 years without any problems. The only comment I will make is that the Dyna kit can be sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

Neil

D

Deleted member 1616

Boyer Branson's working for me too. Replaced a green one yugh.!. I can always cannibalize my Dyna in emergencies.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Coils

I used generic Japanese coils (Kawasaki I think) at 3.5 ohms. I had a lot of trouble with coils dying because, I thought, they had overheated if I left the ignition on. This happened when I stopped for fuel, changing the coil got me going again. (My coil is beneath the magneto cowl.) But when I took four coils to my local dealer to find out which one was the only one that worked, they all did. This made me think that perhaps I had another problem - but have no idea what it could have been. I was told that a modern ignition system would have a sensor that cut off the coil if no signal came through, but find it difficult to believe that coils could overheat in a few minutes.

D

Deleted member 1616

I had advice, can't remember where, not to mount under the cowl as it can interfere with the electronic unit and suffer heat problems. The instructions (see Forum article Which Electronic Ignition?) says 3-5 Ohm, plus mount to metal frame, I guess as a heat sink. Mine is mounted to the front cylinder head on an aluminum bracket.

I must admit, I'd like to know where else it could be mounted. The green Dyna one was mounted to the Alternator and look really ugly.

Martyn

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
cOIL MOUNTING

I mounted mine directly to the cowl (to use the cowl as a heat sink) and made a heat-shield to fit between coil and crankcase to help when there was no airflow. I remain unconvinced that coils designed to be fitted to Japanese fully-faired megabikes are so frail. Doesn't get me any nearer finding out what my problem was, though.

I had advice, can't remember where, not to mount under the cowl as it can interfere with the electronic unit and suffer heat problems. The instructions (see Forum article Which Electronic Ignition?) says 3-5 Ohm, plus mount to metal frame, I guess as a heat sink. Mine is mounted to the front cylinder head on an aluminum bracket.

I must admit, I'd like to know where else it could be mounted. The green Dyna one was mounted to the Alternator and look really ugly.

Martyn

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Grosset coil

Bruce: could I ask you to check that again with Glen? I was told by "a usually reliable source" that it didn't, but should have.
(If you were to think I was grasping at straws here, then you get 10 points. I am. I know people who have what on the surface is exactly the same set-up as mine, and when asked about coils say "Coils? What coils?")

Glenn Shriver has told me that his Grosset ignition has that feature.