Misc: Ignition Idler

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Whether you are using a mechanical ATD or not the additional load on the drive pinion will be the same, I have a 5inch rev counter in a box under the stairs, purchased it new about 50 years ago but never got round to fitting it, I thought it might look a little "Promenade Percy" when fitted adjacent to the 5inch Speedometer, although I suppose the 3inch rev counter is quite acceptable, even if unnecessary on our slow revving engines.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Well no, not really, now I have removed the jumbo false eyelashes from my Miller 8inch headlamp, and I suppose I could also consider removing the Bunny Ears from my helmet, but the only needless addition I have fitted to my Rapide is a Black Shadow 5inch speedometer, everything else is attached for a very good reason.
Front to back, aluminium brake plates, brake balance beam brace, Avo shock, britax twist grip dipswitch, H4 Halogen bulb, small electronic clock, Garmin satnav, Bagster harness and tank bag, Walkernator (Nippon Denso), Extended seat, Cyril Maylem rear carrier with Craven Dolomite pannier boxes, Avo shock with Petteford springs, Yamaha Virago side stand, DAVE HILLS STAND, electronic Scottoiler, Wipac S170 rear light, the only thing I might revert is the rear springs to reduce the seat height.
NB. no rev counter, I change gear by feel and sound only.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Tim, there are a few out there, and I think your old buddy Ron instigated them in the first place, I think they start life as a Bagster Moto Guzzi harness, that sort of fits the contours of a Vincent tank, you then have to get it modified to expose the fuel and oil tank caps, job done, as you probably know, once you have the harness pretty much every Baglux tank bag will attach to it, I was lucky in spotting mine on eBay a good few years ago, as I wanted it badly so I put a 5 second automated bid on it for a ridiculously high price, but in the end paid a reasonably good price. Stuart Metcalfe also has one that he had professionally modified by a very skilled vehicle upholsterer. At one time Bagster did make a universal harness that would probably work for you, but not as nice as a modified Guzzi one.

vibrac

VOC Member
With regard to ATD material I think the first nylon wheels were ok but as I recall later batches had altered nylon material which degraded. Now they are as far as I know fine but the bad reputation will stick The same thing happened with plastic top hat bushes instead of oilite in the girdraulics it worked fine I used some for years but in later batches the material was unknowingly changed now nobody even asks for them
It's difficult to check plastic grades when considering long term effects and easy for manufacturers to down grade the quality

brian gains

VOC Member
so let me get this straight; a rev counter is not necessary on a low revving engine because it wiill just stop pulling and valve bounce is of no concern?.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Don't think I have ever had valve bounce on a Vin'
And I have thrashed them a bit while Sprinting, I pulled over 6,400 rev's on Standard gearing,
In top gear, On my special, With standard L/ning cams and valves,
And I think 124 mph in 3 rd was even more, But I can't work that out ?, = 6,750.
Davidd goes to 7,000 ish , On His 500, But I think His valves and springs are trick ones ?.

I was having a laugh because I thought Peter and Eric were getting a bit HOT.

Last edited:

stu spalding

VOC Member
With regard to ATD material I think the first nylon wheels were ok but as I recall later batches had altered nylon material which degraded. Now they are as far as I know fine but the bad reputation will stick The same thing happened with plastic top hat bushes instead of oilite in the girdraulics it worked fine I used some for years but in later batches the material was unknowingly changed now nobody even asks for them
It's difficult to check plastic grades when considering long term effects and easy for manufacturers to down grade the quality
Hi Tim, I've got a nylon ATD pinion that has never been fitted and even though it has just sat in the workshop it is now 0.040" larger than the tufnol one. Unfortunately I can't specify its origins. Cheers, Stu

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I fitted a Tufnol one on my Special a few years ago,
It had been under the bench for many years and I found it didn't have the back lash I would like,
I took a chance and we will see !,
After, Greg told us to fit a Halftime gear on the breather that was smaller,
Must admit I had not thought of that,
Never had a problem before, Good idea.
I bought a new one off Andy D for my next job, And He says the later plasticy ones are OK.
We will see !!.