Misc: Ignition Idler

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Which material for the ignition idler is the best? Acetal , Tufnol , Delrin, Pertinax , Nylon , ………. Erik

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The BTH is since 6000 km in my rapide and the teeth of the idler are not Looking perfect.
Something doesn't sound right as I've done 50,000 miles on the same Tufnol gear bought from the VOC Spares Co around 2008.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Which material for the ignition idler is the best? Acetal , Tufnol , Delrin, Pertinax , Nylon , ………. Erik
Hi Erik, you should be careful with nylon as some grades are hygroscopic and swell up. This has caused problems with timing gears binding in the past. Cheers, Stu.

erik

VOC Member
I have a rev counter and the drive is connected to the magneto idler.Maybe this increases the load and the teeth wear more quickly ?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Undoubtedly driving a right angled gearbox, cable, and rev counter dial will increase the load on the drive gear, I think the rev counter drive was designed to work independent of the actual ATD mechanism, in any event does a road going Vincent really need a rev counter dial, other than the fact that they are atheistically pleasing.

erik

VOC Member
With a BTH ignition you need no atd unit.I like the Instruments.

Attachments

• windy corner treffen 036.JPG
    windy corner treffen 036.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 16