How to advise on the sale of a collection?

Jim Richardson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I bought some items from the estate of a member a couple of years back, the family member dealing with the estate said to me " if you do nothing else label everything that you have in your shed, it will save your wife a lot of trouble" I was half way home before it occurred to me that they assumed that I would go first.

JimR

Somer

VOC Member
Excellent summary.

I have an Excel spreadsheet with the bikes/values and a link to a picture of each one and WHERE it is located. If something goes out for repair etc. , it is noted. I had a friend killed suddenly years ago. It was amazing how many of his friends did NOT come forward.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
In retrospect, and especially given the average age of men interested in old bikes, it's remarkable I've never seen anything like this before. Denial certainly is a powerful thing.

But, everyone should consider the current summary a work in progress, not a finished document, and continue to add to it. I'm sure in another two weeks after I get actively engaged in helping the widow who triggered this that more things will come to mind.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Having given this a bit more thought I realized we need to extend this discussion to tools. Most owners will have quite a bit of money tied up in tools, so there has to be advice to the widow on how best to dispose of them. However, there are enough differences between them and parts or bikes that their disposal has its own issues.

Again, the assignment is to figure out what we can/should do now to ease the work and maximize the income of our widows later. It seems to me there are three categories of motorcycle-related tools in our garages, each of which might be best handled differently by a widow.

Tools widely available today: Metric and A/F socket sets, crescent wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.

I'm told that any yard sale that advertises "tools" draws a large number of men looking for bargains, so even a common set of metric spanners would quickly sell if priced right. But, are there other, better ways of selling "common" hand tools that don't attract a bunch of strange men to your widow's front yard?

As for what to do now to prepare for this eventuality, if you at least have your common hand tools in tool boxes with labeled drawers, it wouldn't take long to prepare a list by drawer (e.g. 'screwdrivers' drawer -- $1 ea. for most of the contents).

General purpose tools of interest to old car and motorcycle buffs: BSW spanners, BSW deep drive sockets, BA taps and dies, etc.

Here a yard sale wouldn't be best anyway, and instead the highest price as well as greatest good to humanity would be to offer them to a wide audience. Is eBay the best, or essentially the only reasonable, way to do this?

The same preparation for above would work here, although with a few more details (e.g. set of 1/4" BSW sockets, $25; set of BSW impact sockets, uncommon, $75, etc.).

Specialized and custom made tools: Specialty tools made from drawings in 'MPH', complete set of engine tools for a Triumph Trident, general purpose fork assembly tool, 250 lb. electromagnet for magnetos, heavy cast iron table with jigs and fixtures for straightening frames, etc.

OK, now it gets interesting. You spent 50 years acquiring and fabricating custom tools for the variety of bikes you've owned, and any number of others would/should die to get their hands on most of them. Some of these tools could be gathered into batches and offered on eBay (e.g. all the Trident tools; all the BSA tools; etc.), but is that best? Listing them individually might bring in more money, at the cost of a lot more work, but that would be the widow's decision of your advice to her was to go with eBay for tools of this type (which you've taken the time to list, or at least point to the drawer holding them, since otherwise how would she know what's what?).

But, what of the specialized tools you own that would be valuable to a much smaller range of people. I'll offer my custom-made 70,000+ A-turn electromagnet as an example. Few people even would know what it is (sadly, including quite a few magneto rebuilders), but those who do would know that it would be well worth the cost to ship the 250 lbs. since it easily would cost many thousands to make one of their own. So, where to advertize a specialized tool that for 99% of motorcyclists is only worth the scrap metal, but for the other 1% is quite valuable?

Less extreme than the electromagnet is I've made every specialty tool mentioned on the pages of 'MPH' over the past 50 years. On a yard sale table they might sell for 10 cents each as whim purchases, but they should be more attractive than that to many Vincent owners. So, along with a list of tools categorized as above, I should leave her contact information to place an ad in 'MPH' for the tools that are in the "Vincent" drawer of the tool box. That covers Vincent tools, but it's not obvious to me what to do about comparable BSA, Triumph, etc. ones, since I'm not a member of all those clubs, not to mention Amal, Lucas, and BTH specialty tools, since those don't even have clubs.

A notebook with annotated photographs clearly is needed so your widow can tell the difference between a Matchless hairspring valve compressor and a Vincent ESA spanner. But, beyond preparation work like that which we have to do ourselves ahead of time, what are the best ways for your widow to dispose of the specialized and custom made tools you've accumulated over the decades?

nkt267

VOC Member
I've been telling my wife for years that all the money I spend on machine tools is money in the bank when I pop my clogs..John

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I've been telling my wife for years that all the money I spend on machine tools is money in the bank...
Did you also mention to her that your mill weighs 5x as much as your Vincent and doesn't have wheels to help her move it to the bank?

I've spent some time the last couple of days started to organize my own information. Not nearly enough time to have it organized, but more than enough time to know it's going to be a huge effort two wrestle it into any kind of useful condition. I'm tempted to stop at this point and let my heirs curse me for the disaster I'll leave behind if I quit...

vibrac

VOC Member
Just a point you may not pop your clogs just loose your marbles result is the same -a mess
I think eternal listing and instructions is not the way - We should all have an apprentice/s who knows the trade.
I am lucky with a son and a wife who take a keen interest- after all my wife was the one who noticed that a S8-7 ? Sunbeam headlight in a jumble was exactly the same pressing as a series D shell except for easily brazed up and modified holes

Magnetoman

VOC Member
you may not pop your clogs just loose your marbles result is the same -a mess
I am lucky with a son and a wife who take a keen interest-
For anyone who has a child who lives in the same town and who is keenly interested in working on old motorcycles, they can be Plan A and no further thought need be given to this. As Somer said, that would be a great solution in cases where it does apply. For everyone else, life (and death) isn't so easy.

Dealing with hypotheticals can be relatively easy. Having in the back of your mind for your widow to, say, sell all the bikes on eBay seems like it's The Plan, but it's actually little more than a sketch. Although I haven't yet seen the collection that resulted in starting this thread, yesterday the widow sent me photos of all the complete machines. There are a dozen of them (twice as many as I had thought there would be), all appear to be in pristine condition (as I had expected from knowing the deceased), and most are quite desirable.

Without getting too specific, as many of you know BSA put most of their 350cc (e.g. BB31 and BB32GS) as well as their 500cc (BB33 and BB34GS) engines in frames with a 32 prefix. In my State motorcycles are titled by the frame number so superficially many might seem to be the less valuable 350cc machines. Further, and without reviving the "matching numbers" debate, a matching numbers 500cc Gold Star would bring the widow quite a bit more money than a non-matching 350cc. So, while selling them on eBay might be a way to proceed, to maximize the proceeds for the widow it is essential the listing contain a complete description of the bike, whether it has matching numbers, an RRT2 gearbox, etc.

Given the above, an actual, useful Plan wouldn't just say "eBay," it would have appropriate text describing all the features of interest to potential bidders in a file for the widow to cut/paste into an eBay listing. Clearly, having such material prepared by the person who knows the bike best would maximize the eventual sale price, as well as save the grieving widow a great deal of effort at a time when she will be dealing with a lot of other things. Equally clearly, putting all of this together requires a lot more time and effort on the part of the not-yet-deceased than simply saying "eBay" and thinking they're a hero for leaving that one-word "Plan" for the widow.