hello from a state of disassembly.

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Surgeon General has determined that some posts on this forum contain traces of exaggeration for dramatic effect. These will only affect consumers with a sense-of-humour bypass. (So not us, right?)

Two gallons?

I mentioned this because it took me almost a year to realise that what was happening was that the motor was breathing through the dynamo gap, probably because it was less restricted than the route via the timed breather. So I added a bit more restriction to that path, to encourage breathing by the designed route. Another way is to fit a mainshaft seal, but that would have reduced the ESA thrust area, and mine was already worn. I've since been told that there is a way round this, but by then it wasn't a problem.

lindie

Non-VOC Member
in with a bunch of other bits is an et164 that left the spares co on wednesday and should hopefully be here soon. i don't think i'll have time to get into her to fit the bits till after i'm back in the country. got new parts coming for dads gsx1100 too and will collect some basics for the MZ while they're at easy reach next month.

finally, i'll be out of this bloody humidity for a few weeks and there ight stil even be snow if i'm lucky.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Oh, there'll be snow. There was snow in Tenerife last month if one went high enough. There's snow 10 miles west of here (Aberdeen). Here near the coast it is merely bloody freezing. Dry cold, though...we have the a.c. switched off...

lindie

Non-VOC Member
a friend has put another jar of snow in the freezer for me in case its all gone before i get there.

or she's just gonna freeze some water and hope i don't notice the difference (and sadly i wouldn't.)

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Apparently, in a survey of "the best skiing snow on the planet 2010" Glencoe came top. All of the Scotish resorts were in the top ten. None of these reviews were written by Vincent riders. But I did 50-odd miles today, and IT WAS GOOD. I was nowhere near Glencoe. But if you want to save money on AC, this is the place to be. Dress up warm...

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
People also get their left leg broken in seven places. But only the once. I decided then that the pleasure skiing gave me (minimal) was rather outweighed by the potential downside...

wld50

Non-VOC Member
Skiing is dangerous? I totally agree, but so is crossing the road, especially in London, presumably you are also thinking of the downhill variety: but have you tried cross country skiing?
There's an infinite pleasure in being out in the [FONT=&quot]countrysid[/FONT]e on roads and tracks on which we could never stay upright with two (motorised) wheels, the peace and the birdsong when you stop, the crunch of ice under the skis on the downhill runs,
although covering a couple of dozen kilometres in a day rather than a couple of hundred may not seem so amazing, it's amazing what you can do with a single manpower engine. (And it really justifies the demi of pression at the end of the day)

wld

Last edited:

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Downhill skiing is particularly dangerous when I do it. And particularly in Scotland, where usually the snow melts the day after it falls and refreezes overnight. Takes people braver and more skilful than I am. There are lots of people like that.
I agree with you about cross-country - langlauf, because we did it in Norway. Great fun, and a practical way to travel too. I particularly liked the way Norwegians considered langlauf "real" skiing, with downhill skiing regarded as being inferior, and always referred to with a contemptuously curled lip as "alpine skiing".

lindie

Non-VOC Member
i had snow!

and a ball while i was about it.

5 wonderful weeks of cool crisp weather in which i attended the essen technoclassica, the mercedes museum, and did some touring on a very fast twin cylinder roller cranked roadburner that was a joy to pilot. picked up another bike as well while there that may be coming back with a superelastik sidecar next trip over in two years time. did my first legal 100 (and 112) mph and thoroughly loved banging along the 'bahn.

all the gear for the GSX rocked up and the crankcases and half the bike are back together though the tinware is all next door being repainted. from a spraycan of kubota tractor orange applied in my back yard to see it through the rego, to the two pack laverda orange i originally had in mind in by a professional in a spraybooth. will be a major contrast and most welcome.

most of my bits that i planned on fitting to the MZ are done and shes still a joy to ride. amazing how little horsepower is required for the biggest grins.

the most of the parts for lindie have rocked up and the rest are i'm assured on their way. new bars are wider, better shaped and seem good quality. fork bushes will be going in during her next trip back to my house but that could be a month or so as i've a few other appointments in the following weeks. did acquire some better levers and switchgear while overseas. in the process of adapting them to their new homes in between other tasks but will be nice to have that solid familiar feel and clunky mechanical action to the electrics. will be a bonus to have indicators too as though fun as the big girl is now with her spartan controls, it's a bugger when you forget to utilise them through habit on the other bikes. will knock up a few pics when it's done. as with all my alternate parts it'll likely seem out of place, but practicality has to come first. and every club needs a black sheep to disdainfully shun.

have missed the sound of her anyway so it'll be good when she's returned to one piece regardless how she looks, and noone round here has any idea what she is so the vincent legend will remain unblemished. i'll just nod when they tell me "thats a cool old bike mate, always wanted a harley".