Hello - and where to start...

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not sure why you want a pair of shocks to preserve the look. Series C had 3 boxes (2 spring, 1 damper) and Series D had 1 spring/damper unit as far as I know. Call it a modern D and use a monoshock cantilever rear end. I don't know what Terry Prince uses, but I don't like the idea of 2 spring dampers that close together - don't know why and I'm off on holiday, so I don't want to tax my brain working out what I don't like about it - I think it's the thought of two dampers with separate adjustment not working in sync.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello, Bill again,
You be careful, Some Norvin's handle like pigs,
The Norton wasn't built for a big V twin,
They tell me It is very important how far forward the engine is fitted !The other thing is none of the teles are very good during those years.
If Steve did you a frame it would have later forks with better damping.
If you want a Norvin there is a lad in the Sussex section who knows how to make them good, If you e/mail the section they may be able to help,
It all depends on security thats why I can't give you his name.
Good Hunting Bill

VirtualVincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Basically, this is my initial research so opinions from people experienced with Vincents in the flesh (or should that be metal?) is valuable. Thanks

By a pair of shocks I meant somethig that looked original but was modern, though I take the point about the Series D. I'd expect a pair of shocks close together to be better than a pair wide apart (i.e. either side of the rear wheel)... maybe not?

I also take Bill's point about Norvins. I was thinking of seeing if Dave Degans of Dresda Autos is still building and getting him to do me a frame. If you have a look at his site you can see one he did, basically making a wide than standard frame to allow the engine to sit lower and in a better position. I could then use a lot of Manx Norton parts to finish it off (including conbined oil and Petrol tanks etc.).

Who is Steve?

Thanks

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello V.V.
Look back at your replies,Letter 30 Bruce Metcalf gives you ,
Steve Hamel Web Site U.S.A. I think,
And Bsaowner on letter 27 and 28 shows some very nice photos,
Of Steve Hamel type frame kits,
Lots to think about,
When I did mine I did it on a shoe string, the D top tube cost me £6 and I bought a D rear suspension unit and bodged a C rear frame, I love it,
there is not another one like it, I have won many awards with it in speed events, Sprinting and Road Racing, It did very well with a big lump like me on it, Over 6'ft and over 15 stone !
All the best Bill.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Hello V.V.
Look back at your replies,Letter 30 Bruce Metcalf gives you ,
Steve Hamel Web Site U.S.A. I think,
And Bsaowner on letter 27 and 28 shows some very nice photos,
Of Steve Hamel type frame kits,

Steve is Terry Prince's agent in the US. If you go with a TP frame, direct or the EU agent might be easier. See post 32.

VirtualVincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Doh! Yes, I did look at Steve's website but I'd missed the bit where the previous poster had said that Steve could get the frames.

I tried emailing the European contact for Terry Price but got no reply and the contact for Terry Price in Australia bounced back. Given how out of date the website is, I am not very hopeful that he's still in business. Dave Degan's Dresda Autos site is not very up to date either.

I might have to do a shoe-string special myself :). I'm not rich and definitely can't afford one made by JMR Restorations, which is the only people I've found who are definitely still in business and selling Egli style frames.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello V/V
If you want a laugh, I have just been pressing the buttons on the home page, If you go to www.Myvincent.co.uk Then press scene at the top of the page you will see a load of page numbers, Press the first one and then scroll though the pages,
you will see at least 6 photos of my bike, three sorts of fairing, exhausts, and all sorts, I would change something big every 6 months If I could, It made me laugh anyway.
Good Luck Bill

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I heard TPV had gone bust................

He is still racing, if any mates are going to Bonneville, they could ask him about a frame for you.
DSC01369.jpg

Bod500

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Egli frame.

Hi Virtual Vincent, what is your budget if you were to find an Egli style frame with forks, wheels, swing arm and rear shocks??

Bod