Hello - and where to start...

VirtualVincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Virtual Vincent, what is your budget if you were to find an Egli style frame with forks, wheels, swing arm and rear shocks??

Now there's a very good question. I guess that much depends on the condition of the frame and attached bits (whether they are new or 2nd hand and how 'pre-loved' if they are 2nd hand). Looking at the prices quoted for new Vincent parts from our very own Spares Shop and other sites such as Unity Equipe, I guess that somewhere in the order of £2500 (UK pounds), give or take, would be reasonable.

TVP was offering his frame with swinging arm for $2,800 (Ausie Dollars - 2006 prices) which is just under £1,400 (UKP). I need to allow for forks and wheels but much depends on those components (e.g. are we talking a 4LS Grimeca hub or something more humble :) and are the yokes billet etc etc).

What's the concensus of the board?

VirtualVincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Bill:
you will see at least 6 photos of my bike

I'd already spotted a few pictures of a bike that looked remarkably like yours, Bill, when I first trawled the photos :)

Tnecniv Edipar:
I heard TPV had gone bust................
Aha! That would explain things, sadly. :(

bmetcalf:
He is still racing, if any mates are going to Bonneville, they could ask him about a frame for you
Sadly I and most of my friends are UK based and unlikely to get anywhere near Bonneville. If anybody from the board was going, it might be a public service to see if TVP might be pursuaded to make frames on an ad hoc basis.

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Chasis options

Hi V.V

Speaking to Terry Prince recently, he's not gone bust, but is taking a sabatical following a difference of opinion with his business partner. I know he will be producing his 600cc "Big Bore" kits for both single and twins again in the near future, but I doubt that he will be producing chasis' again.

Hartmut Wiedlich in Germany has been producing a slight varliation on the Egli frame with Fritz Egli's permission, and his drawings are available in pdf form for you to make your own. Also I know that Spondon have also made Egli style chasis as well.

Following another thread on confidence in girdraulic front suspension it basically comes down to money, as you can put a good set of modern tele's on the front for a LOT less than a set of girdraulics, and if you see pic's of the 'Kingham' Egli twin, Tim is using a Laverda front end to give him disc stopping power.

Best of luck
Neil

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Rear Suspension options

Forgot to add this to my last post:rolleyes:

For rear suspension you could always look at the '70s Yamaha XT500 range (When it went monoshock) as it looks very similar to the Vin setup, and could probably be modified to suit what you want.:D

Neil

lindie

Non-VOC Member
evening. is there a specials section of the club (ie;norvin, egli, et al.) that hosts a regular meeting whereby you could trap a gathering of said machines owners to discuss pro's and cons with physical examples close to hand? something in person might tip the scales in favour one way or another. your island can't be that huge to preclude a trundle or two you can nominate as "research" should the wife get on her high horse about them.

i'm glad i'm not in your shoes as mine was an unknown quantity before collection and i was running the possibility of a egli or featherbed setup throuh the brain early on but fortunately (i guess, though norvins do give me a spine tingle) my cycle parts were less shot than i was worst case scenario'ing. with the variety of groovy specials out there i don't envy your decision process.

glen.

Howard

VOC Member
Hello V/V
If you want a laugh, I have just been pressing the buttons on the home page, If you go to www.Myvincent.co.uk Then press scene at the top of the page you will see a load of page numbers, Press the first one and then scroll though the pages,
you will see at least 6 photos of my bike, three sorts of fairing, exhausts, and all sorts, I would change something big every 6 months If I could, It made me laugh anyway.
Good Luck Bill

Thanks Bill

I'd forgotten those photos - I've got the book somewhere.

Little bit before I started "racing", but "my" Comet is there with Pete Campbell, showing modded Girdraulics and would you believe it TLS front brakes based on Vincent brakes courtesy of Mr Griffiths - perhaps I should have gone into production and beaten the current ones by 20+ years.

Howard