Hello - and where to start...

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Nobody said it would be easy.

Just keep asking. I'm pretty sure it's all been done before, and someone, somewhere in the VOC will have the answers.

VirtualVincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
That is what makes it worth while doing :). As for the cost - I'm going to run for Parliament and put in an expenses claim ;).

Actually, being able to buy such major components as the UFM and RFM off-the-shelf (simultaneously ensuring all the angles are true) makes the build a LOT easier and a lot more standard than I had anticipated.

I was hoping plenty of others had done similar builds before me and it looks like there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

It's going to be a long slow build as money is tight and only a proportion of the sale of my current Trumpet will be usable for the Vincent sadly. By the time I finish I will have forgotten what a modern bike feels like and will no doubt swear that the Vincent is better :D.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Will certainly be good to watch it take shape. The comparison with a modern bike is sort of irrelevant , a Vincent or a bike with a Vincent engine is an entity in it's own right and above comparison :D Out of interest , did you see the MCN road test on the brand new built from new parts Black Shadow ?

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
I think that a terry prince (egli with a mono shock) is a far better solution, it really has all the things you need, and the engine will fit right in, if you can find one! These frames are available still over here at least (usa) and I can tell you that they work well. My bike has one and it perfoms very well, I ride it most days and I'm very happy with it. I don't have a fairing on it but one could be fitted, it has ceriani forks (circa 1978) and brembo discs, but drums could be used. I have spoked wheels with borrani rims but its all a matter of personal choice really. The engine was made up from new parts so no vincents were hurt in the making of this bike!
icon12.gif

VirtualVincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
You're right, of course, and that's why I want to build the Vincent. I remember the thrill of taking my other projects out onto the road and it is a different thing altogether from riding a 'shop-bought' bike. Add to that the whole 'Vincent-thing' and you'll understand my motivation for the project.

I didn't see the MCN road test, although I do know of the bike in question. If anybody has a link to the MCN road test I'd love to read it.

I have looked at the Terry Prince web site from time to time since I first had the idea to do this bike a few years ago and the website hasn't changed which makes me suspect that his frames are no longer available. I liked the layout, though I would prefer to put a pair of shocks in side by side for no better reason than the look of it.

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
My bike isn't quite the same as the ones that terry produced, in that I didn't put all the bodywork on it and as I said it has more traditional wheels etc, there has been a photo in mph but I cn't remember which one....nov 2008 maybe? It has never been featured in any magazine and I am the only person ever to ride it...so far! You could probably fit two shocks side by side but I'm not sure if there would be any point. I'm going to try and attach a pic, but don't hold your breath!

Attachments

• egli reborn004.jpg
    egli reborn004.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 54

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
wow it worked! I'll do some more! By the way I think Steve Hamel can get these frames.

Attachments

• egli reborn 006.jpg
    egli reborn 006.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 38
  • egli reborn 007.jpg
    egli reborn 007.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 46
  • egli reborn 005.jpg
    egli reborn 005.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 49

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello to VirtualVincent, From Bill Thomas,
And to Howard? W. From Curborough ? We had some good times.
My Spec' started out as a standard C with 1970 Norton forks, I used Race Yokes and you can use any Norton brakes you like. I had to stiffen up the springs to keep the wheel away from the engine and use a slim mudguard.
It gives it a lot of trail and slow steering is a little heavy, You will have to alter the lock stops. The standard frame has a sidecar fitting hole you can mount fairings off. I agree about the standard forks, I have had enough scares for all of us, I still ride a Comet and a twin with standard forks but I don't know why !!! Once my Lightning rep' threw me over the top and now I don't trust any bike !! not even my Spec' Which is super !
I am not good at useing the Forum but you can e mail me
billthomas@lightning.fsworld.co.uk
Good luck bill.