Greg Brillus Racer

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A pleasure Greg. Just to remind you of John Emmanuel's trick for checking the wheel spindle motion. He put a felt tip pen in the spindle hole at the bottom of the fork leg and mounted a piece of white card vertically so that the felt tip marked it. The card needs to be firmly mounted. He then just moved the forks up and down and the felt tip leaves a permanent record of how it moved. Clever and direct.:)

greg brillus

VOC Member
Ok, back from a stint in the shed (as you do) I set up the steering stem sitting on my Trace Elliot bass speaker box....(those Bass players amongst you will know what this is).....Just the right height....removed the box supporting the engine, and with my weight over the standard footrest throughbolt.......the rear coilover compressed about 1/2 an inch. This is with no preload on the spring. The coilover has about 80 mm of travel, and as I said earlier, it has a 250 lb. spring. It all looks ok so far.....Something you may not have noticed in the photos, is the rear mount I made to hold the coilover. This is braced so it will not flex.....this is something I have heard some complain about with the new coilover that Laney Thornton supplies, mind you this is with two up riding and extra baggage. It will also happen at the front, where it will bend the throughbolt and the two bosses at the attachment point of the UFM. This too I have braced, as per how Davidd had done on his Grey Flash racer. These mods are necessary, as the original mount points front and rear, were only designed to take the loads of the shock absorber only.....not the shear tension/compression loads of the springs.

Joshua Mackay-Smith

VOC Member
Tangential query only: what does it say on the Rapide's pedestrian slicer (partially blocked in the background of David's photo #9) ? It looks almost like it might be "Brony Express," which seems unlikely...

greg brillus

VOC Member
Close....it says "The Bronx Express" as it came from there, and was just a blank plate. So rather than put Rapide 1000cc or similar, I decided to give it a name. It was a total risk buying from overseas, but has turned out to be a fantastic bike.

davidd

VOC Member
Some shots of the wheels:

Photo 13
Brillus_PB_1.jpg

Photo 14
Brillus_PB_1.jpg

Photo 15
Brillus_PB_3.jpg

Photo 16
Brillus_PB_5.jpg

David

Attachments

• Brillus_PB_4.jpg
    Brillus_PB_4.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 58

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks once again for posting the pics David, Yes the front brake is off a Suzuki GT 750 but has been modified extensively and lightened by around half a kilo. The wheels are totally complete now and only need the Avon AM 26 race tires fitted once I am closer to the bikes completion. I changed the wheel bearings from the original metric axle hole sixe back to the Vincent's standard 1/2 inch, with a new alloy distance piece in the middle. The rear hub has also been modified to accept sealed ball bearings, so as not to worry about the grease seals etc with the taper rollers....this is a well worth while change. The odd looking bolts in the rear hub are 5/16 aircraft huck bolts, and the nuts are alloy............it's the collective changes in weight, that make all the difference. The brake linings were done by Vintage Brake in the USA,