Greg Brillus Racer

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The needle rollers will work well, but you need to use ground steel spindles, not stainless, as the stainless ones will end up with grooves from each roller needle.....I am using titanium spindles which I hope will handle the needle rollers. Cheers for now........Greg.

Just a thought Greg, but when Mike Parti and I both tried to use titanium pushrods, they wore down instantly. Seems as if oil has no effect on them. I can imagine the needle bearings wearing right through the spindles. Maybe not, but like I said. just a thought.:confused:
Cheers, John

Last edited by a moderator:

greg brillus

VOC Member
Good point on the spindles, and although the load on them would be less than a pushrod, the contact area from each needle roller will be small, and therefor highly loaded. But being this is a racer, I will keep an eye on it. like I said, you wouldn't go this far on a road bike...Ground hardened steel spindles would work fine.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
[QUOTE="davidd, post: 51980, member: 1177"
Hi, the crank looks "good enough to eat" But what blew up to cause the damage at 12 o'clock and take the edge of the oil scraper?

greg brillus

VOC Member
Is there no possibility of getting a needle roller inner that wil fit ?
Hi Chris, if you are talking about the thin wall sleeves you can buy, we tried this but there is very little room to play with, given the spindles 9/16 diameter, and the needle rollers have the same ID, they are wide enough, but their OD means boring out the original bush size by around 2 mm. The time and expense of the needle roller conversion is very prohibitive, unless you have enough skill in operating a mill, it's not the boring out that's the issue, it's keeping everything in correct alignment. For those that wanted to the specs on the ball races for the eccentric replacements they are 32 mm OD x 20 mm ID x 7 mm width, and you can fit two side by side in each eye ( so 4 bearings needed in total) The stainless hat section sleeve that fits through the bearings, is basically the same as the ones TT made, but the center section that fits inside the bearings is 20 mm and a nice slide fit into same. This part plus the shim spacer washer that goes on the inside has a small shoulder so as to clamp the bearings, and allow some side clearance to clear the sides of the link eyes ( visible in the first photo's). Ok Roy, now to your question....It appears to have tossed the rear cylinders rod, and the remains had cracked the bottom center of the right side crankcase half. This was repaired years ago, and quite a good job done.....only the welding had distorted the joint face so that when together a 14 thou gap existed, and radiated from the oil filter housing to the gearbox partition wall. We had the face welded after local heating and controlled cooling, then remachined all the parting faces....this lost us around 15 to 20 thou through the center, so the liner spigots had to be redone, all gearbox internals readjusted to obtain running clearance.....Should have just bought some new cases.....Oh well, things we do........Greg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Trev, What are your thoughts on needle rollers on stainless, It's only because I am Lazy !! Cheers Bill.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Hello Trev, What are your thoughts on needle rollers on stainless, It's only because I am Lazy !! Cheers Bill.
There`s stainless and there`s stainless, you had better be using the Martensitic grade, 431, fiormerly EN 57 or aircraft grade S80. Do not use an Austenitic variety. 431 can be nitrided.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
"JUST LIKE THAT" thank you Trevor, info is always useful, but can no longer get the crowded needle rollers, Torringtons I think as they were being fitted to Cams & Rockers a lot back in the 60's 70's as Professor Higgins had his cams ground out to fit 1/2"ones instead of reduced spindles of 7/16".

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I use needles running on stainless for the bottom links on my Brough castle forks and they show no signs of wear after 7k miles but the angular deflection and loading is completely different as they are beside the wheel spindle so do not have the leverage of the girdraulic legs acting on them and being much shorter move through a much greater angle spreading any wear
Chris