Greg Brillus Racer

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Be careful what you wish for ! Brian has invited me out there for 6 months !! Only Joking, I am not much good to anybody, Too old ! But you have took 20 years off me with this Project, Thank your lad for me , For the youtube, Seems like you live round the corner, Super Job, Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
This must be it. Congratulations to Greg for completing the racer! Log book photos:
P7240371.jpg

P7240373.jpg

And, the "I'll smile when it is done" photo:
P7240374.jpg

David

Albervin

VOC Member
You've come a long way since I met you at the 2007 International! Well done young man. I think the Horner bike has closer to 90 bhp but I am sure Reg said his weapon had 100 bhp when
both it and he were in their prime. Actually, from that photo, I reckon Reg could still mix it with the lads.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi all, just got back from our weekend out west. The racer was well received by all fellow racers and people from the general public.....I think it was the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle...!! I was very busy with riding both the solo and swinging on the 72 Honda 750/4 outfit we race. At first on Saturday morning I ran the solo with it's muffler on, and all went well, except I could barely hear the thing.....So you guessed it...off came the muffler, and hey presto...It sounded like a twin on steroids. I ran it again, and checked with our sound level man who had been at one part of the track checking the overall levels from all machines...his maximum reading was 92 db. So I knew I wasn't over the top. Sunday (today) ran it in the regularity, and then asked the clerk of the course if I could tag along behind all the period 3 solo's just to see how it was done......well it wasn't long before I was picking them off one by one, and came up closer to the leading 3 or 4 bikes. So much for me tagging along at the rear....no harm done and no complaints. All the pitside racer boys and spectators all thought it was great, both the sight and sound. The attention it got was phenomenal, with many photos taken by one and all. A friend has captured some footage on his camera and will send it to me soon. Apart from a little off throttle stumble, which was quite minor really, but just needs a bit of fettling...I know it is early days, but all in all I could not fault the handling or braking....the clutch worked well and the shift was fine although it was a touch difficult to find neutral at times. The performance was great, and just seemed to pull hard from low revs and just wanted to keep reving. Given the small track I could only manage 3rd gear until the next corner, as the main straight was an 1/8th track in distance so about 200 meters or so, not a track suited to larger bikes, but a lot of fun non the less. The other point of interest at least for me, was the vibrations from the engine at low rpm, which reduce as the rev's pick up. Now I know those of you who are familiar to cranks set up for racing would be use to this, but most bikes I have played with (for road use) this does not happen. It feels light and nimble on the corners, and the tires are fantastic. Some corners I hit at speeds that made me wonder if I would make it, and once in the bend the tires did not skip or wobble at all...!!! There was not a hint of head shake or rough handling, even when I hit some of the ripple strips, and I was most cautious not to roll on too much throttle too soon out of the bends, just a nice roll on until things squared up, and then gave it some stick. The ability to pass other bikes was a real blast. One chap who had his full dresser Shovel Harley was going around the track, and I could hear his running boards grinding through the corners as I overtook him on the inside. It truly was a fantastic weekend, and I can only say that I am really looking forward to getting in some more track time, and having more fun with it. Cheers for now...........Greg.

peter le gros

Forum User
VOC Member
Greg today was a great day watching you and Damian (Irving Fan) on the outfit and THE RACER.Mate you have that thing going so well it's unbelievable it is its first run on the track the tyres were scuffed up right to the edge,no chicken strips here. Any time you are taking it out for some track time let me know I will take the day off work have already booked the week off for the national historic championships 25th-28th September. Well done Greg it is a real credit to you.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi all, I would like to just say a special thank you to David Dunfey for all his help and for posting the photos for me. It has been a great project and I am looking forward to getting out on the tracks here and there and having some fun with it. Thank you all for your interest, help and kind comments along the way.....It's time to give my wallet a break, and get back to rebuilding more bikes, to get some more of these wonderful machines back on the road. Cheers for now.......Greg.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I found that my Vincent project bike had a lot of spending momentum. Even after it appeared to be complete, many dollars flowed into it.
Perhaps the heavy flywheels caused this, I'm not sure?:(
Glen

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
A vincent special was always going to cost"the thick end of a tidy few quid"! The worst part is there is usually some extra tweak or refinement. I find it best not to total-up the money, it only becomes worrying. Ride it like you stole it, the smiles are worth more than the money. Roy.