Greg Brillus Racer

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It is remarkable what you've done with this motorcycle. Unless you're only 5 ft. tall it looks like you're sitting on a 3/4 scale model. Unless I missed it in one of the recent posts I'm looking forward to knowing how much it weighs in its final form. Congratulations on creating such a beautiful and functional (and, we all hope, winning) motorcycle.

Greg has the right body type for racing. Here is a photo taken at Reg Bolton's. Left to right is Glen Challis, Reg Bolton, Greg Brillus and Peter LeGros:
Brillus Bolton_1.jpg

I am always amazed at how small the racers look, including my own. Greg has done a wonderful job and I wish I had him as a neighbor!

I don't think Greg has had it assembled enough to do a final weighing yet.

David

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Greg has the right body type for racing...
I realized the instant I hit 'send' that I should have written "unless you are 7 feet tall..." Although this thread is now 11 pages long, it's remarkable how much Greg accomplished in such a relatively short length of time.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Thanks for the kind comments guys, It has been a great project. I think the bike will be far more capable than I, but I will do my best. If I can keep the thing 100% reliable, then it should be fine. I've heard the Irving Vincent boys have tricked up the Rapide they are building, with 100 HP from a stock capacity engine, and reworked suspension. It will be good to see some genuine Vincent's on the track next year at Philip Island. Cheers for now.......Greg.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Greg, do your racing rules require a belly pan to catch oil? (For the lesser brands, of course.)

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi Bruce, At this stage no, but other machines like sidecars do. The guys on outfits always get blamed for dropping oil on the tracks......not always the case from what I've seen....:)

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there all go to this youtube link to see the racer running. Started up yesterday for the first time, got up oil pressure with the rollers first after priming the entire oil system, interesting to watch the flow from a two start pump. The first fire up was successful although it was so quiet with the muffler on, that we decided to remove it, and try again. Engine seems to start easily and definitely helps using the decompressors for the first crank over. Once I played around with the idle mixtures a bit, it was running nicely on both cylinders and accelerating away cleanly, whereas initially it would only run on one cylinder out of a turn and pick up on both once the revs came up a bit more, this because the mixture was a bit on the lean side, so I opened out the mixture screws another turn or so, and that made a big difference. I decided to run with 1000 mains for now, it seems that running huge jets is totally unnecessary, as the unburnt fuel either goes out the exhaust, or dilutes the oil, and fills the oil tank.....I am thinking the correct size will be closer to 800, but I will err on the side of caution for now. I also have the number plates and the front alloy guard back on it now too, so I will put a couple more pics on to show you the completed bike. I will be taking it out for it's first run next weekend, and will report on how it goes, Cheers for now.....Greg.

peter le gros

Forum User
VOC Member
Hey Greg you have turned that old bike into a real weapon it looked good today at the bike show cant wait to watch you go round the track next week end at Carnell Park. Great work mate. Peter

greg brillus

VOC Member
Bill I truly wish you could hurry up and come over to give me a hand..!!...;)..Then we could pop up to Reg's and get the nod from him as well. I will get my son to video some footage of it on the track next weekend....I'm going to be busy both running the solo and swinging with Damian on the 1972 Honda outfit we race...All great stuff...Cheers....Greg. PS Thanks Peter for the comments....Your a great friend, and I really appreciate it.....:)