VOC Member
Grey Flash and Lightning:
100_1424.jpg

100_1423.jpg

David

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks for the photos. That's different than what I expected. The drawing in the parts book (at least on the shifter side) looks like the serrated area on the G108/1 is raised as though it might have a H13 serrated washer brazed onto it. Is that your bike?

vibrac

VOC Member
No need to think or worry its all in MPH by Eddie Stevens Obscure components.
And it all fits! I made a set for the grey flash replica. very neat and adjustable I was given a bent brake lever just cut off the bump with the hole
all the bits are simple turning or borrowed from the parts bin and brazed up I am sure the milling machines at stevenage were far to busy to make anything if its originality you are after do what George and Cliff did!

Cyborg

VOC Member
Whoo hoo ! Thanks for that. Are there drawings for the shifter/ brake spindles and brake arm too or am I wearing out my welcome? When you say it's "all in MPH by Eddie Stevens Obscure components", I assume you mean a copy of the club journal. (You'll have to excuse me, I'm new at this and was never properly socialized to start with.....so some of my responses may appear odd). As for the mill, you probably should't try and apply logic to anything I do.... but I will gladly follow your advice. Thanks again.

davidd

VOC Member
Thanks for the photos. That's different than what I expected. The drawing in the parts book (at least on the shifter side) looks like the serrated area on the G108/1 is raised as though it might have a H13 serrated washer brazed onto it. Is that your bike?

Yes, it is a Grey Flash, 2B/3407.

Obscure Components was a series of articles with drawings done by Eddie Stevens that was published in MPH over the years. I made a paper copy decades ago. Here is the table of contents. The numbers in pencil are my own page numbers. I don't believe a copy of the articles were ever available as a compilation.

David

Attachments

• Obscure Components Contents.pdf
    405.1 KB · Views: 56

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Thanks for the index reference David. that should make for some interesting spelunking. I was not familiar with those articles since they were written during my absent years. (past ones, not the ones ahead of me). At the risk of deviating a bit from the topic, here is a picture of the shift lever I had on my first Vincent. It was a 52 C engine in a surprisingly complete and original B everything else. A hole was drilled in the chromed lever to eliminate a sloppy linkage. It was this way when I got it. Was this a common bodge?

Ron

IMG_0326 (Large).jpg

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
Thanks for the index reference David. that should make for some interesting spelunking. I was not familiar with those articles since they were written during my absent years. (past ones, not the ones ahead of me). At the risk of deviating a bit from the topic, here is a picture of the shift lever I had on my first Vincent. It was a 52 C engine in a surprisingly complete and original B everything else. A hole was drilled in the chromed lever to eliminate a sloppy linkage. It was this way when I got it. Was this a common bodge?

Ron

View attachment 13694
I have accumulated a couple of those levers over the years.I am certain that they were the average riders way of getting rid of the awful ball jointed linkage,I found using one much like changing gear with a rubber band on the end of the lever.Some people pay stupid money for them on fleabay,it shows they don't ride the bikes!

greg brillus

VOC Member
If you over tighten the rod ends to take up slack in the linkage, the shift mechanism struggles to return to neutral, causing poor shifting. This truly is a case of not wanting to put too much crush on your balls............:oops:

vibrac

VOC Member
I thought the B arrangement hailed from the days when a Vincent was primarily a dual road and race machine,(Oh happy days:D) and was the result of trying to emulate the reversibility of the brake lever on the other side that enables use of the pillion footrests in a racing position. And that it might allow the gearchange to be reversed while retaining a kickstart, alas it does not.