Friendly chap with huge kickstart foot required!

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Phil, You must have a bit of compression or it won't go!! Will it blow your thumb off the plug hole, When you kick it over ? Take off both rocker caps + the front valve cap to make sure nothing is catching, Give the tappets a little free play, Just for now, I would prefer 5 or 6es plug. Good luck Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
I suppose its timed on the right stroke? ie not when the valves are open.....

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about compression, ignition, power, exhaust - believe me!! But yes, it's timed on the compression stroke!

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
Well, I kicked it over, Bill, but then I had to pick it up again...... Dunno, I'll check again tomorrow. Phil

nkt267

VOC Member
I had a problem with my Comet with low compression, it was the rings sticking.It would kick over very easily with no signs of life, then a couple of bangs and once it fired it was ok and the compression would be great. If i didn't use it for a week it would be back to the same -no compression..john

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Gummed up piston rings or worn rings that have lost their "spring" can cause that. Once it starts, combustion pressure gets behind the ring to help push it into contact with the bore.
I had a problem with my Comet with low compression, it was the rings sticking.It would kick over very easily with no signs of life, then a couple of bangs and once it fired it was ok and the compression would be great. If i didn't use it for a week it would be back to the same -no compression..john

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
Hope springs eternal! The piston and rings look new - plenty of spring and no goo in the rings/piston slots. Today I will be mainly spraying soapy liquid around the joint between the muff and the head whilst kicking it over. Maybe (thanks Minivin!) I have not lapped the head/muff in enough....

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The lapping of the head is wonderfully therapeutic if you don't find it too boring. I suggest you play some music to help pass the time. Chubby Checker, "Lets Twist Again" might be a good number to start with. At least it gives the kicking leg a rest. Your persistence will pay off ..... eventually.:)
Hope springs eternal! The piston and rings look new - plenty of spring and no goo in the rings/piston slots. Today I will be mainly spraying soapy liquid around the joint between the muff and the head whilst kicking it over. Maybe (thanks Minivin!) I have not lapped the head/muff in enough....

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I agree with what John says, If you are talking about a bike that has been laid up, I have two bikes that have done that, After winter I have gone to start them which have compression at first, They have backfired and then lost compression, Wd40 down the plug hole + No more trouble till next winter, The heads have not been off them for 30 years +. BUT , Phil has only just put head and barrel together, So I don't think that applies, Cheers Bill.