Friendly chap with huge kickstart foot required!

Phil Baker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Message to John A in Suffolk - John, I have replied to your message but I can't tell whether it's gone through or not. Gist is : thanks, I'll try those things! Phil

vibrac

VOC Member
so it would seem that only thing you have not reported back on is compression
perhaps its time for a can of 'quick start' I would bung it in the plug hole in a long squirt splash the plug screw plug in and kick
but that is last resort only had to do it once
Nowadays having a racer I always put my rebuilds on my foxley starter that will start it but better than that I can circulate the oil before starting her up

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
Yes, I'm about to go and check the muff/head joint with squirty soap solution. I have already tried the quickstart stuff. Didn't get the bike going but I had a great trip! Phil

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
OK, no bubbles around head/muff joint - where are you, Hugo? Got enough compression to blast my finger off the hole. Tried the oil, smaller gap, easystart etc. With the choke off and full throttle I got a couple of bangs out of the silencer....

b'knighted

VOC Member
Having had similar, although shorter problems, recommissioning a Comet after 20 years silent, I'd try a different route with the easystart.
Fit new Champion N9Y.
Open throttle wide and fill the inlet tract with the ether.
Shut throttle and choke.
Now when you kick it it should suck the easystart in instead of blowing it out. I found that this would only induce a second or so of running but at least you then know that all the problems relate to carb side of the equation. I gave up and fitted a concentric.

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
Gentlemen................... the day has come................... Stumpy said to me, 'if there's anyone who can find out why this machine is not running, it's minivin'. Robert 'minivin' was kind enough to come visiting today. The first thing he spotted was that the exhaust cam follower was sticking so he redid the timing case shimming and timed the ignition again. This was out by about 90 degrees despite my best efforts - we'll see why in a minute. Anyway, having done that, he kicked it over and it RAN, YES, THE COMET RAN!!!!!!! And lovely it sounded too!!!
That was the last we heard from it for a couple more hours................... after a lot of head scratching and retiming of the ignition Robert found out that the atd was not fitting tightly to the taper and thus was moving every time the retaining nut was tightened up. There ensued a lot of grinding, flatting off (nail biting on my side whilst vast acreages of my atd u washer and the back of the atd disappeared in a shower of sparks) and refitting with no better results UNTIL Stumpy came back with a reconditioned atd and Robert lapped it onto my mag shaft (Hugo, that's all yours!). Retimed it...... AND IT RUNS LIKE A FRIGGING DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A bit of carb tuning... and what a GREAT MACHINE THIS IS, PEOPLE!!! It sound just great and ticks over beautifully WHAT A FANTASTIC COMET THIS IS!!!

I'd like to say a lot of thankyous - everyone on the forum who has joined in the fun and provided useful comments, . Stumpy for being SO damned generous with time, bits, advice and everything, Hugo for the research and e-mails, and Robert minivin for spending the whole day making this happen and refusing to be beaten.

This is my first experience of being part of an Owners' club and I am really grateful for the help and encouragement. Well done and keep it up. As my stepson, Oli, said : it's unusual to find people who will give of their time so generously these days!!

So, it's goodbye from me on this thread - it's been a blast!!

Phil

b'knighted

VOC Member
........and we thought you really had left the rope in!

I hope it gives you as much pleasure as we all get from them.

Now if you want to see if it will run for three hours we have a section meeting tomorrow in Devon, see you there?

Cheers,

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
Nice idea, Ian, but it's still not MOT'd or registered yet. Hopefully, though, these things will happen in the next couple of weeks. Still got to see to the front brake shoes as they are new and need chamfering to get any grip at all!

Whilst I am on here - thanks again to Clever Trevor for a great job on the head!

Phil