Friendly chap with huge kickstart foot required!

Phil Baker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yeah, good idea to leave the adjusters out - I may be able to see what's going on better than I can with the dial gauges. At the moment I have done exactly as John from Stevenson USA suggested, so we know where to lay the blame when it all goes horribly wrong!!!:eek::rolleyes:

Howard

VOC Member
Phil, This is how to bend a pushrod properly. To be honest, I think this one bent when a follower broke. It's from my black museum, but looking at ebay, it ought to be worth a tenner.

H

DSCF0098.jpg

clevtrev

VOC Member
Phil,
You can get your engine real close by removing the pushrod adjusters, removing the Large Idler, camshaft and breather and putting the crank at TDC. Next, replace the large idler with the straight line centered on the crank and 1/2 time pinion (you probably will have to find the correct slot for the keyway to align), now line up the "B"'s on the breather and slide it home, the slot edges should be equidistant from 12 and 3 o'clock on a vertical line through the crank, idler and breather. Next, point the indexing slot in the camshaft as close as you can to straight down and slide it home. Now, set the magneto (fully advanced) to release a piece of cellophane (cigarette wrapper is perfect) between the points at 15/32" before TDC .. 7/16" is OK, 1/2" will work too, but may ping/pink.. Button it all up and you should be good to go.
Cheers, John
You`re not forgetting, that Phil has a Comet. The breather does not feature in the equation.

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
Well, here we go again.... Having ground the head/barrel/liner joint and reassembled the engine I have just put the front back on the Comet so it looks like a bike again, shimmed up the timing chest (Stumpy advising - we removed nearly all the shims and strange washers that were fitted by the previous sinner) refitted all cables, fitted the timing chest cover - I have polished it to a high shine so it looks nice and would obviously make the bike run so much better .. or even run at all (old gasket, no compound, just in case....), fitted the sparkplug and the Enfield mod decompressor ............................... turned the engine over gently with the kickstart (I'd done this earlier before I reassembled it all to make sure that the piston was not hitting the valves) and................ no compression at all.... not a bit!

I loosened off the tappets to about 5mm clearance and tried again. Still no compression.

Last night I drank too much whisky.

Today I will be :

Removing the decompressor and fitting a second spark plug in the hole to see if the decompressor is at fault.

Removing the tappets completely and turning the engine over to see if there is compression with no valve opening at all whilst trying to avoid bending another pushrod.

And I may well find myself doing the valve timing again just for the sheer enjoyment of it........

Such fun!

Also, even with new springs and a lot of WD40 the ATD is reluctant to return to the fully closed position. Anyone got a bigger hammer?

Regards to all

Phil

Howard

VOC Member
Phil, first thing to try. Open the throttle full and kick the engine over. I know this may sound silly, but I had lack of compression the first start this year. A friend told me to do this, apparently kicking it over with the throttles shut can form a partial vacuum in the cylinder. Never had the problem before in 45 years but it worked for me.

Well, here we go again.... Having ground the head/barrel/liner joint and reassembled the engine I have just put the front back on the Comet so it looks like a bike again, shimmed up the timing chest (Stumpy advising - we removed nearly all the shims and strange washers that were fitted by the previous sinner) refitted all cables, fitted the timing chest cover - I have polished it to a high shine so it looks nice and would obviously make the bike run so much better .. or even run at all (old gasket, no compound, just in case....), fitted the sparkplug and the Enfield mod decompressor ............................... turned the engine over gently with the kickstart (I'd done this earlier before I reassembled it all to make sure that the piston was not hitting the valves) and................ no compression at all.... not a bit!

I loosened off the tappets to about 5mm clearance and tried again. Still no compression. Careful! A few thou should be enough. Too much and they might jump out.

Last night I drank too much whisky. Is there such a thing as too much alcohol when you've got Vin problems?

Today I will be :

Removing the decompressor and fitting a second spark plug in the hole to see if the decompressor is at fault. This is likely to reduce compression and make a hissing noise, not get rid of all compression.

Removing the tappets completely and turning the engine over to see if there is compression with no valve opening at all whilst trying to avoid bending another pushrod.

And I may well find myself doing the valve timing again just for the sheer enjoyment of it........ Enjoyment?

Such fun!

Also, even with new springs and a lot of WD40 the ATD is reluctant to return to the fully closed position. Anyone got a bigger hammer? Forget the ATD for now, just make sure you don't kick it like you're scared, or it'll bite back.

Regards to all

Phil

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Phil, It must be a Tight valve guide ? or bent valve, Sorry but I think the head has to come off, Good Luck Bill.

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
TIGHT VALVE GUIDE, BILL?? I can hear Clev Trev turning in his - er....... The head has received serious attention and complete engineering from Trevor and I am confident that it's all both spiffing and top notch in there!!

Phil

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
And another update........... reassembled the Comet, top and bottom links up the right way, head on, valve timing - both valves closed at TDC (was I happy?) and points opening at 34 deg BTDC with the ATD spragged at fully advanced using my timing light set-up (am I advanced or is it the ATD?). Battery refitted, lights and horn working, timing case polished, tank and seat back on. Looking good and like a MACHINE again, you might say................ except that it would now appear that the clutch has gone from being very stiff to being non-existent.

Took the Burman gearbox outer cover off and large amounts of the special grease leapt out at me. Looking at the position of the actuating arm and reading from the few notes I got with the bike I think that Mr Wonderful, the original assembler, has managed to shorten the clutch pushrod too much. In my experience, Honda clutches such as fitted to Honda motorbikes and, in this case, to my Comet, are a thing of extreme engineering beauty in terms of easy operation. The previous tit (obviously, this makes me the current tit) has managed, it would seem, to cock up the fitting of the Honda clutch. Anyway, reading the Conway notes, I am going to insert a 1/4 inch or 6mm ballbearing into the gearbox side of the pushrod tube between it and the two-diameter slotted final clutch actuating jointy thing in the hope that this will provide me with enough extra length (stop that now) to allow the clutch to operate properly. Any millennium now, I'll be starting this machine.... hope you can all hang on long enough to appreciate the moment. I had black hair when I started this........ Phil