Misc: Ignition Fitting a cutout cap to a Lucas K1F magneto on a Comet

weevil.knievel

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

New member here, recently bought a 1950 Comet which I am currently pulling to bits :)

Whats the generally accepted method to retrofit a cutout switch to a Comet that has the Lucas K1F magneto?

This magneto has the bakelite/plastic points cap that is held in place centrally by a spring clip - its not a screw on cap.

I see lots of references on the internet to K2F cut out end caps but nothing specifically for the K1F so asking on here. I can also see metal screw-on type points caps with the cutout contact - but mine is not a screw on type. Or do I need to find and install a replacement magneto end plate with one with a screw thread, attach that which would allow me to use a screw on cap with cutout?

Or would one of these K2F end caps fit?

I did try the forum search but surprisingly nothing came up, and I cannot be the only person to have asked this question!

Regards,

Julian

Last edited:

weevil.knievel

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi everyone,

Many thanks for the answers - so the Lucas 458619 is the answer :)

Whats the best way to route the wire from the mag cover to the handlebars? Any recommendations?

Also any particular type of wire or sheathing or support clips/grommets recommended? For example some of the early Hondas like the CB160/CD/CB175 used a fabric covered wire sheath and slotted the wire between the cylinder barrel fins and had rubber support grommets.

Regards,

Julian

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't think there are any special concerns for the wire to the kill switch. Note that for some reason, the connection at the cap is designed for a HT lead - but you're grounding the magneto primary, which is low-voltage, so there's no need for HT wire. I just use a stub of HT wire at the cap, connected to a normal wire, maybe 18 gauge, running up to the switch.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a rubber boot for mine that fits the pickup and a "normal" wire, though where it came from in the last few decades I have no idea.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Normal procedure would have been to earth via a horn button. You could for greater security earth it via a key switch to leave it earthed when the bike is unattended.