First Ride on my Vincent After Two Years Away From It

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That was something I also disliked about the "new" bikes for a long time.
But then in the midst oft the 2010s things changed regarding that matter and now there are some very good modern bikes available that are lightweight and have a reasonable saddle height.
I tested the KTM Duke 390, which is very light with a dry weight of 150kg. There even exists a retro variant of it, which is the Husqvarna Svartpilen 401. Those bikes are unbelievably nimble, but you might argue still a bit high. Kits to lower the height are available though.
The best overall compromise concerning weight, height and power imho is the Yamaha MT-07. When I first saw it, I almost misidentified it as a 125ccm bike. I bought the first one I could get for the very reasons given and drove it several times to Switzerland and Italy. It is far better than any classic bike. Because of its properties its oftentimes considered a beginners or woman's bike. And its a bargain too, especially considered the outstanding engine it has.
I had it for three years and only sold it, because I found it to be too boring with legal speeds.
If someday for whatever reason I will be unable to maintain or kickstart my classics, a Svartpilen or something similar will be my fallback option.
Yes Yam MT 07 i choose for the same reasons. Put on hypropro set for better and easy to set up for twin and solo riding.
Only thing i dont like about them is the short trail on front wheel.
Other tah that its a cheap bread an butter bike.
But it has to sleep outside.
As the rest would piss on it...

vibrac

VOC Member
when I refer to excess height and weight I do of course mean modern bikes suitable to take TBPPITW (if you remember Moose brained smith)

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
But then in the midst oft the 2010s things changed regarding that matter and now there are some very good modern bikes available that are lightweight and have a reasonable saddle height.

The best overall compromise concerning weight, height and power imho is the Yamaha MT-07. When I first saw it, I almost misidentified it as a 125ccm bike. I bought the first one I could get for the very reasons given and drove it several times to Switzerland and Italy. It is far better than any classic bike. Because of its properties its oftentimes considered a beginners or woman's bike. And its a bargain too, especially considered the outstanding engine it has.
I had it for three years and only sold it, because I found it to be too boring with legal speeds.
If someday for whatever reason I will be unable to maintain or kickstart my classics, a Svartpilen or something similar will be my fallback option.
I had a Yamaha MT07 a good bike let down by "budget suspension". Performance very good and good fuel consumption too. I had mine stolen last year, not happy but looked on it as an excuse to try something else. I bought a new 2022 Honda NC750X DCT. It has a bit of a name for being a bit boring but the more I ride it the more I like it and appreciate its practicality. It is a six-speed automatic using a similar twin-clutch technology as my VW Golf. Performance is not in the rocket ship category but good enough for my needs as it has Standard, Sport and Rain modes. Only 58 bhp but very torquey so quite fun to ride especially in "Sport" mode. I've done just over 4000 miles now and over the last 1700 miles, it has averaged 80 mpg. Like the MT07 it has budget suspension, but I have Hyperpro Springs and a rear shock on order.

Scout63

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’ve been off newer bikes for many years, but fell in love with the Husqvarna Vitpilen 701. It’s low, light and so easy to ride. Unfortunately they stopped making the 701 but the 400 is still being sold. I had to buy one used.

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
I tested the KTM Duke 390, which is very light with a dry weight of 150kg. There even exists a retro variant of it, which is the Husqvarna Svartpilen 401. Those bikes are unbelievably nimble, but you might argue still a bit high. Kits to lower the height are available though.
Raced 2 KTM390s a few years ago they are the biggest pieces of Rubbish the Frames from new were bent one up to 12mm , Head gaskets , clutches seize every nut and bolt cross threaded at the time they were coming out of India , Jeremy McWilliams did a test and wrote goes around a corner better one way than the other

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have found most "modern" bikes to be somewhat anodyne, despite performing most tasks very well, I also found my 1928 AJS K9 Flat Tanker to be, how can I put this, somewhat less rewarding than I anticipated, immensely enjoyable while it lasted, doing the Banbury Run once a year, with very little use in between, but for me the pinnacle of motorcycle manufacture sits somewhere around 1947-1955, those years have given me the most enjoyment.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Is it only me ?, What I don't like,
But the new bikes often have the rear wheel exposed ?,
I would hate to think what would happen if you got a hand or foot caught up if you took a tumble ?,
Plus it looks untidy to me,
I do worry too much !.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Raced 2 KTM390s a few years ago they are the biggest pieces of Rubbish the Frames from new were bent one up to 12mm , Head gaskets , clutches seize every nut and bolt cross threaded at the time they were coming out of India , Jeremy McWilliams did a test and wrote goes around a corner better one way than the other
A friend on another forum recently purchased a new KTM390 as did his dad.
After two months usage and many problems on both bikes the dealership agreed to take them both back, full refund.

Glen