First Ride on my Vincent After Two Years Away From It

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have often considered buying a modern bike but I think it would be too nice and easy to ride and I would end up being idle and leaving the others in the garage.
No matter what box is checked on a specification sheet, a modern motorcycle wins over an old one (huge h.p., electric starter, fuel injection, disc brakes, plush suspension, reliability, …). However, the same is true for the specifications of a BMW, Ducati, Honda, Yamaha, etc. compared with a Harley-Davidson yet, in the category of large motorcycles, Harley sells twice as many annually as its largest competitor. So, clearly technical specifications aren't the only factor involved with decisions of which motorcycles to buy and ride.

A friend will be arriving from Dublin in a few days to ride motorcycles around the Southwest for a week. Based on technical specifications, we should be on my modern Ducatis. But, we'll be on my old Gold Stars. Although the "non-technical" reasons for such choices are understandable, they fill an hour-long lecture on "The Art and Science of the Motorcycle," so would take too many words (and images) to describe here.

vibrac

VOC Member
I will tell you two things most modern motorcycles I would be found on lack, low weight and low saddle height no wonder 50% of the poulation are debared from a wonderful pastime

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I will tell you two things most modern motorcycles I would be found on lack, low weight and low saddle height no wonder 50% of the poulation are debared from a wonderful pastime
The most common street motorcycles have seat heights 30–32 inches, which allows the average European male to touch the ground with both feet when stopped. However, fewer than 3% of European woman are as tall as the average male, and they generally lack the upper-body strength to comfortably support a 450-lb. machine on their tip-toes.

As for weight, taking manufacturer's specs at face value, a 1963 BSA Gold Star had 40 h.p. and weighed 360 lbs. Sixty years later a Ducati Monster produces 111 h.p. but weighs essentially the same as the Gold Star at 366 lbs. Still, it has a 32.2" seat height, which is an obstacle for half the population. But, it's remarkable that nearly 3× the h.p. is dealt with by a motorcycle that weighs the same.

Taking this further, a Kawaski H2 claims 200 h.p. and 525 lbs., which is 5× the h.p. of a Gold Star in an overall package that only weighs 46% more. Gender and developments in materials science are two of the topics I cover in versions of "The Art and Science of the Motorcycle" lectures.

James Fanning

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My Vincent has been off the road for about 2 years. During that time I have been riding and enjoying a Yamaha FJR1300ES..smooth, powerful, laden with electronic wizardry and incredibly comfortable.
Yesterday I rode the Vincent..every bump in the road was felt along with the vibration of the engine. I fear the Vincent as a bike to ride even occasionally days are numbered….I have fallen out of love with it.
Try an Egli - you get the effortless Vin twin engine characteristic we all love in comfort.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Try an Egli - you get the effortless Vin twin engine characteristic we all love in comfort.
I’ve ridden several Egli’s…and you are 100% correct. Unfortunately there’s too much of a gap between what I might expect my Rapide to sell for, and what any Egli would cost..

vibrac

VOC Member
I cannot believe that the Original concept of the Egli as espoused by Mr Slater that is to buy the frame,tank and a front wheel and fit all the Standard Vincent parts to it has strayed so far as to exceed the cost of a Standard Vincent especially in North America where anything seems to go with specials.
Personally (and I am talking 500) once I sampled modern Vincent suspension I sold my Egli because on the road I could not dicern the difference

Colin

VOC Member
Yes I am tempted to buy something newish, Before it's too late !,
But the Wife says NO !,
Unless I sell all my JUNK !,
But I have done a lot with my stuff, lots of memories, Racing etc, Awards,
So unless I get a big win On the premium Bonds, I will have to stick with what I know,
I would kill myself with 160 ish BHP ?.
Hi Bill
You would not kill yourself. Firstly you are an experienced and skilled rider and secondly you don't need to learn to ride properly as modern bikes do everything for you, and here I quote from a current road test of " - a Honahakawuki" " "There,s full adjustability,so you can dial it in just how you like it. There's plenty of electronics elsewhere,though. There's a new six axis IMU, a ride by wire throttle,,cruise control, slope dependant control............adjustable traction control and ABS (which has two setting and can be turned off) and Honahakawuki's Drive Mode Selector which even includes a dedicated Gravel mode...........the new5-inch TFT dash.
You don't need to ride it, just readthe manual, and tell the bike where to go. It weighs somewhere over 500 lbs. and unlessyou are superman (no doubt YOU are) or over 7 feet tall you would also need a step ladder to get on.
If you get the impression I don't like modern bikes you are WRONG.I do like many, but many big 'uns go over the top, and after you've bought it start saving for the servicing costs (NO SIR YOU CAN'T SERVICE IT YOURSELF, CERTAiINLY NOT) and then double your saving for when some electronic whatsit packs up.(NO SIR, SORRY OUT OF WARRANTY.
Cynical.....................Moi?!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes Colin I watch a lot of youtube,
I think it's a bit dangerous playing with all this stuff while riding ?,
I am not good with Computers and Mobile phones, It's a wonder I can get on here !.

You don't remember me , But I am tallish, So not bothered about how tall the bike is.

I remember riding Big Bill Telfers K100 BMW, It did worry me walking to pick it up,
I used to take the pee out of it , Saying it's a Car on 2 wheels,
But soon gave it a big handful !, Loved it so much I bought it off him !,
Had it for 10 years.
Only having a bit of Fun.

Membership sec' and me in lovely Devon, After a shake down test on a friends Twin.

Attachments

• IMG_0465 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0465 - Copy.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

MarBl

VOC Member
That was something I also disliked about the "new" bikes for a long time.
But then in the midst oft the 2010s things changed regarding that matter and now there are some very good modern bikes available that are lightweight and have a reasonable saddle height.
I tested the KTM Duke 390, which is very light with a dry weight of 150kg. There even exists a retro variant of it, which is the Husqvarna Svartpilen 401. Those bikes are unbelievably nimble, but you might argue still a bit high. Kits to lower the height are available though.
The best overall compromise concerning weight, height and power imho is the Yamaha MT-07. When I first saw it, I almost misidentified it as a 125ccm bike. I bought the first one I could get for the very reasons given and drove it several times to Switzerland and Italy. It is far better than any classic bike. Because of its properties its oftentimes considered a beginners or woman's bike. And its a bargain too, especially considered the outstanding engine it has.
I had it for three years and only sold it, because I found it to be too boring with legal speeds.
If someday for whatever reason I will be unable to maintain or kickstart my classics, a Svartpilen or something similar will be my fallback option.

Last edited:

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Triumph makes quite a few bikes with fairly low seat height, less weight than a Rapide and loads of power.
Some of them are pretty too! (Dare I say prettier than a Vin?) Better go.

Glen

Last edited: