PR: Proprietary Items Electronic Speedos?

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I use an Acewell product on my Egli Comet easy buy lots of options rev counter speedo, mileage and trip ,indicators ignition lights etc there can be temperature ,neutral and fuel but thats going too far for me I am not a great light watcherView attachment 26922
Thanks for that Tim,
Really wanted something close to the small original Vinnie speedo, could do with three idiot lights though or I`ll have to drill the headlight.
Agree with less lights is better, simple like me.
Cheers
Dave

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks for that Cyborg, yes Michelle is helpful.
My request to limit the responses to Speedometers was to deter the possibility of answers about about mens swimming apparel !
I`m going to sound Puca out & see what happens, good luck with getting your tach.
Cheers
Dave

Totally missed the swimming apparel thing. You mentioned Puca and I lost my sense of humour. The problem I encountered with Puca (through VOC Spares) was that he made promises to supply my tach, but never delivered. Finally after a year, he said he wouldn’t be sending one after all. Michelle suggested I try contacting him directly. I did... he replied and said he could deliver one and would send the payment details if I wanted one. Emailed him back and said yes please, but never heard back from him. I’ll omit the chapter on trying to get one from the distributor in the US. One last shot and I contacted Caerbont. As mentioned, I have a tracking #, so with luck I’ll have a digital tach that hasn’t been irradiated too badly by customs or run over by a postal van. Sure hope it works and is worth the effort.
Good luck with Puca.

If it wasn’t for the fact that I already had the matching speedo, I would have given up long ago.... just in case anyone is wondering why someone would pursue this for a year.

Paul Coene

VOC Member
And this is how my Smiths speedo looked like a few weeks ago:
Smiths 01R.jpg

The damage on the dial itself is paint peeling of because of infiltration of water (see my earlier post # 39 above)
The support of the dial broke off from the plastic studs.
Smiths 03R.jpg

I fixed it with two-component glue and wonder how long it will hold.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thats encouraging..... so I should ignore the "waterproof sealing" part? I assume you weren't able to unscrew that bezel and had to use other means.

Paul Coene

VOC Member
Thats encouraging..... so I should ignore the "waterproof sealing" part? I assume you weren't able to unscrew that bezel and had to use other means.
I managed to unscrew it. (but feel rather screwed myself). The bezel has a very fine thread.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
And this is how my Smiths speedo looked like a few weeks ago:
View attachment 26927

The damage on the dial itself is paint peeling of because of infiltration of water (see my earlier post # 39 above)
The support of the dial broke off from the plastic studs.
View attachment 26928

I fixed it with two-component glue and wonder how long it will hold.
That`s not good Vincent.
I must admit I`ve got confused over who supplies what as apparently the Smith name is not limited to one supplier.
I got a pretty quick reply from Patrick Keen at Puca but after Cyborg`s glowing reference think I might be looking at one from Digital Speedos.
Cheers
Dave

Cyborg

VOC Member
I managed to unscrew it. (but feel rather screwed myself). The bezel has a very fine thread.

After seeing your response, I took my speedo out of the box and had a look....its been a while. It too has a bezel that unscrews. Apparently my tach is coming with a crimp on bezel and some sort of waterproof sealing.

Spqreddie

VOC Member
I think the spare company stocks Puca instruments.
The difference between Puca: http://www.puca.co/productGF.html
and CAI: https://www.smiths-instruments.co.uk/motorcycles
is the size of the case, Puca should be an accurate copy of the 3 inches Smiths item. the CAI One is larger (82mm) and deeper and design different, and i am not sure if it is plastic or metal.

Puca for their instruments use CAI internals or some german made ones.
They claim their instruments to be more faithful to the original design.

I spoke with them at the phone and seemed quite helpful. however i do not have direct experience as i have not ordered yet.

I think Godet motorcycles use Puca Instruments.

The speedometer do not tick as the original chronometric one because of new regulations. the Road codes want you to know exactly at what speed you are going.
For the tachometer you can select a smooth swiping mode or the classic ticking mode.

Some more info i collected:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks for that... I guess. Hopefully I will know shortly whether it more or less matches. My speedo was purchased from VOC Spares and yes it came from Puka. It is a close match to the original with the exception of the odometer..although I couldn't bring myself to use it on the B twin, so its going on the Comet mongrel project. Had an original restored for the B.
The information that came with my speedo "appears" to give instructions on how to switch to ticking mode, so perhaps that has been changed since? Although.. I don't really care about that.. just want them to resemble a matched set. Hard to tell from the photo on the CAI site. When I asked, I was told about the 82mm and crimped bezel, but nothing mentioned about it being deeper or plastic. I was assuming that Puka got their instruments from CAI until you rained on my parade.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I used this lightweight unit on the Special.

There is an incredible array of functions with this speedometer/tachometer.
One of the things that I quite like is the gear indicator.
It also has turn indicator icons which flash as well as headlight hi and low.
For racing you can switch the unit over to tach only and it becomes an analogue type full screen tach display.
It will also measure 0-60 and quarter mile times.
The quarter mile function worked well when I had the 1000 cc engine in place, but not so well with the 1360.
Because the sender is on the front wheel
and the unit is measuring distance, it gets confused when the front wheel is not in contact with the ground.
A rear wheel sender location is planned.

Glen