PR: Proprietary Items Electronic Speedos?

Spqreddie

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am looking at electronic instruments for my bike as well.
I will be running a modified front hub without option for the speedo gearbox, so i need another solution.
Given i am there, i was then thinking to couple it with a rev counter as well.

While searching for one i understood that the Smiths trade mark is not really protected, but the ideal continuity of production is with Caerbont Automotive Instruments : https://www.caigauge.com/

(read their Q&A page and this quote from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiths_Group : Clocks, watches, and automotive instruments eventually ceased to be significant markets for Smiths,[11] and by the 1980s, the automotive instrument division had been sold,[11] first to Lucas, and eventually to the factory employees. The new company, Caerbont Automotive Instruments, continues to produce classic Smiths-branded instruments with the blessing of Smiths Group plc.[20] )

And they produce indeed a Smiths classic motorcycle range: https://www.smiths-instruments.co.uk/bikes

I have inquired for a rev counter and they quoted me 230 GBP (last year).
They also can provide the sender unit both for the wheel for the speedometer and for the coil for the rev counter.
The instrument can be set to tick as the original cronometrics.

The only problem is that the case measure 82x44 mm instead of 80x 32 as per the original instrument.
Also they have a pressed in bezel instead of a screw in one.

But, there is another company in the UK also making electronic speedos and tachometers. And they do them using the correct 80mm case and screw in bezel: http://www.puca.co/productC.html
at 234.99 GBP
They also make a 5inches speedo and rev counters for the Vincent: http://www.puca.co/product5C2.html
For their instruments they use CAI internals or some german made ones.
They claim their instruments to be more faithful to the original design.

Best,
Edmondo

By looking at the pictures on the Voc Spare webshop it looks like they stock the gauges from Puca Design.

greg brillus

VOC Member
A couple of tips when using these types of instruments..........They do not like any electrical interference from a HT source, say you have the speedo magnetic pickup on the rear wheel, and the sensor wire running up the frame past or near the ignition leads/coils this will upset the speedo reading big time. It effectively tries to become a Tacho instead..........Keep the sensor wire away, as a last resort you might need to use some 5 K ohm resistor plug caps, and this works very well. Another point is that some of these electronic Tacho's can reek havoc with some electronic ignitions, especially if the pickup wire used is the one that is tapped to the negative side of the ignition coils. The problem that exists is that a lot of electronic ignitions trigger the coils from the positive side of the coil, not the negative like you would for points ignition. The wire from the electronic tacho has a small voltage feed coming from it (say 5 volts on a 12 volt system) this backfeed of voltage to the negative side of the coil causes grief and can in many instances destroy the ignition coil. Don't ask me how I found this out on a 600 Comet, it caused many headaches to find the fault. Cheers..........Greg.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Glenn Shriver has electronic instruments on this bike. I'll ask him for details.

View attachment 24067

This is Glenn's response:

For the Egli clone, I was having trouble fitting a mechanical speedo drive to the Suzuki twin disk front wheel, so decided to go electronic. [Didn’t know that Patrick Godet cleverly uses a std. Smiths type rear wheel speedo drive as with several other Brit bikes.] I bought an empty 5” repro’ shell & bezel from Andy Rackstraw in NZ and had a firm that Steve Hamel used [APT Instruments Int’l., Inc. of Bloomington, MN] fit a std. elec. works [a la Caerbont Automotive Instruments, Wales, UK] into the 5” shell. APT did manage it, but they said “Never again!” It looked great, but it had the reset button thru the glass which I didn’t much like [rain, etc.] Scott Thomas [of Smiths Magnetic Instruments in the Chicago area] eventually rebuilt it with a new face & glass w/o the reset button, and fitted a remote reset button. That was all fine & good, but the kit did not come with a sending unit. I called Caerbont, and they had them in stock, and sent one to me. I fitted it to the L/H side of the rear swing arm and fitted a series of bolts to the Vincent brake drum’s sprocket holes as pick up points. And Bob was our Uncle.
Having gone electronic on the speedo, naturally I chose to go similarly with the rev. counter. I bought one from Mick Hemmings of Northampton, UK, but was never able to get it to work, in spite of having 4 or 5 ‘experts’ fiddle with it. I acquired a second rev. counter works from Caerbont and fitted it to a std. Smiths 3” case, bezel, & face. This worked quite well, and looks quite smart c/w a dummy drive cable from the std. mag. drive cover as per the std. Lightnings.
And finally, to gild the proverbial lilly, I fitted LED lights to both instruments using the std. Smiths bulb sockets. I first fitted an LED ‘bulb’ with 4 mini LEDs, but found it too bright and distracting at night, so finally opted for a single LED ‘bulb’ for each instrument. [I also have LED tail, brake, & headlights.]
Glenn Shriver
(Chicago)

vibrac

VOC Member
I liked the comet rider at the Gloucestershire rally with a standard speedo ring on his RH rear cotton reel and a standard front end angle drive on a alloy arm only saw it as he went off home.. you know who you are

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Just wondered if anyone has used a Speedo from Puca ?
They only have an email as contact so I'm a bit cautious as they don't list their address.
Cheers in advance.
Dave
PS. Only answers about speedometers please !

Cyborg

VOC Member
Just wondered if anyone has used a Speedo from Puca ?
They only have an email as contact so I'm a bit cautious as they don't list their address.
Cheers in advance.
Dave
PS. Only answers about speedometers please !

Good thing you mentioned "only about speedometers" otherwise I could have gone and filled this thread with a years worth of stories about my quest to get a tach through them...... and I do mean a years worth.....started last April. Its finally on its way (at least I have a tracking #), but not through Puka.
VOC Spares may have one, but if not then I don't know how much luck (try as they might as they did for me) they will have getting it for you through Puka. Anyhoo, check with Michelle at VOC Spares and see if she has one. She's very helpful. If that doesn't pan out, you could try contacting Caerbont Automotive Instruments directly. They have an address and answer their emails.

Last edited:

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Good thing you mentioned "only about speedometers" otherwise I could have gone and filled this thread with a years worth of stories about my quest to get a tach through them...... and I do mean a years worth.....started last April. Its finally on its way (at least I have a tracking #), but not through Puka.
VOC Spares may have one, but if not then I don't know how much luck (try as they might as they did for me) they will have getting it for you through Puka. Anyhoo, check with Michelle at VOC Spares and see if she has one. She's very helpful. If that doesn't pan out, you could try contacting Caerbont Automotive Instruments directly. They have an address and answer their emails.
Thanks for that Cyborg, yes Michelle is helpful.
My request to limit the responses to Speedometers was to deter the possibility of answers about about mens swimming apparel !
I`m going to sound Puca out & see what happens, good luck with getting your tach.
Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I use an Acewell product on my Egli Comet easy buy lots of options rev counter speedo, mileage and trip ,indicators ignition lights etc there can be temperature ,neutral and fuel but thats going too far for me I am not a great light watcher