PR: Proprietary Items Electronic Speedos?

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
All that makes you think when the Indians are offering RE twirly revcounters at under £25

I could fit a new one every month for the summer

fitzer

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
in reply to Cyborg....I get that you are frustrated with the wait...but if it was my problem I would have contacted the guy(s) and got it sorted....you can buy from the website and don't need to speak to a soul...and the paypal goons will kosh any retailer hard if they don't supply promptly....so no real reason to wait? or am I missing something?
In my experience the reality is that in the niche MC sector, behind the flashy websites or show stands there is often just a fred-in-a-shed making pretty much hand made parts....so a degree of lattitude is going to have to be applied to stop you pulling your hair out....
"given the fact that he told VOC spares that "one was coming" .
......We've all dealt with Intermediaries and their version of events might differ from the facts? ....maybe? ...just sayin.
I'd seen the CAI looky-likey chronometric on the digital-speedos show stand....not to bad, but opted for the puca chrono (with bling chrome case) for my bitsa-bobber build as it will fit chronometric brackets and the CAI version won't?!?! a chronometric that won't fit a chrono bracket? wtf?
anyway... I've made my decision....yet to know if it was good or bad one....but so far so good.

Cyborg

VOC Member
in reply to Cyborg....I get that you are frustrated with the wait...but if it was my problem I would have contacted the guy(s) and got it sorted....you can buy from the website and don't need to speak to a soul...and the paypal goons will kosh any retailer hard if they don't supply promptly....so no real reason to wait? or am I missing something?
In my experience the reality is that in the niche MC sector, behind the flashy websites or show stands there is often just a fred-in-a-shed making pretty much hand made parts....so a degree of lattitude is going to have to be applied to stop you pulling your hair out..........We've all dealt with Intermediaries and their version of events might differ from the facts? ....maybe? ...just sayin.
I'd seen the CAI looky-likey chronometric on the digital-speedos show stand....not to bad, but opted for the puca chrono (with bling chrome case) for my bitsa-bobber build as it will fit chronometric brackets and the CAI version won't?!?! a chronometric that won't fit a chrono bracket? wtf?
anyway... I've made my decision....yet to know if it was good or bad one....but so far so good.

I tried contacting the fellow at Puka, but that was after a year of trying to get one through VOC spares. Initially, I wasn't aware of the fact that VOC was getting them from Puca. I did get one response from them (Puca), but then things went silent. As previously mentioned, I'm sure he would have replied eventually had I pursued it, but based on my experience so far, didn't see the point. It still doesn't explain the years worth of promises to supply my tach to VOC spares. I know "things happen", so there are likely to be delays when dealing with Fred in the Shed.

While your comment ("We've all dealt with Intermediaries and their version of events might differ from the facts? ....maybe? ...just saying") may apply in some cases, the nice lady at VOC Spares was following up with Puca and keeping me updated.
All my dealings with VOC Spares have been first rate and I've dealt with them for a while now and placed more orders than I care to remember. Out of all the orders, I think it was only one where there was a mixup and they fixed it quickly without any fuss.... which brings me to... the measure of a company is not whether they make a mistake, it is what they do to fix that mistake. Anyway, based on my previous experience, I don't buy the fact that VOC Spares might have been part of the issue and this is probably not the place to be suggesting that they my not be forthright.

I suppose the bottom line is... why did it take a year for Puka to tell VOC Spares that I was more or less out of luck when it came to filling the backorder for my tach? If he is selling to you, then why couldn't he fill the backorder?

At some point you just have to part company with Fred and move on.

You chose to support his business and good for you. I do hope it works out and hopefully the quality is ok as it has the same internals as the CAI. I would have preferred the CAI gauges looked like the originals, but I'm using them for a special and making my own bracket anyway. Good that you mentioned it, so folks know and can use that info when deciding which route to go.

Anyway, you made your decision and so have I. Good luck with yours and hopefully neither one of us is back here talking about quality issues.

Spqreddie

VOC Member
I spoke at the phone with Patrick from Puca this morning. and i have ordered my two 3 inches instruments.
He said he will built them and send me a pictures for acceptance before shipping. he said it will take 10 or 15 days for my special order.
As well i can not say anything yet regarding quality as is the first time i am dealing with them, but as soon as the instruments received i will update you all here.

I have informed him that we are discussing his product here and told him to consider registering here on the forum to follow the discussions and answer to the queries. not sure he will do.

I live abroad so I am not often home, but over the summer i was able to finally have a look a the instruments i got from Puca. They seems very well done, and my yellow face special request was also fulfilled. The yellow tone is not exactly the same as per the original but i guess i might be able to ask them to print new faces with a closer color tone if i wish. At the time of ordering them i haven't sent them the original one and they said they had already some yellow faces printed. The cases are metal and not plastic and seems to be of the same size of the originals.
I have also ordered the sender for the speedometer.
The rev counter is connected to the coil.
they came with instructions and nicely packed (although they can move inside the box)
Eddie

20190903_202730_HDR.jpg

20190903_202752_HDR.jpg

20190903_202800_HDR.jpg
20190903_202858.jpg
20190903_202923.jpg
20190903_202939.jpg
20190903_203019_HDR.jpg
20190903_203031_HDR.jpg
20190903_203049.jpg
20190903_203111_HDR.jpg
20190903_203118.jpg
20190903_203228.jpg
20190908_134309.jpg
20190908_134414.jpg
20190908_134424.jpg

Attachments

• 20190908_134324.jpg
    20190908_134324.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 7

Trevor Lever

Forum User
VOC Member
Further to the cause. On receiving my supposedly reconditioned speedo back at a cost of £170 including postage. This was after a company in Melbourne cast an eye over it, at approx $100. The original problem being the ingress of water. My mistake, I shouldn’t have washed it!
When I received the speedo back I immediately unscrewed the bezel to see how the water sealing situation was addressed.
To my surprise the lower of the two O rings was left out. Apparently a lower O ring was not an original fitment. It certainly was when I received the bike new from France. The bezel lower to body was not sealed with TRV, as it was originally.
At this point in time I decided to change the original nine wires for a DB9 computer cable with 9pin plug for ease of assembly/disassembly. The original 9pins supplied with the pike were more or less a permanent fixture.
On retesting after changing the wires I found it was intermittent in operation.
This I can only put down to my error when attaching the new wire harness!
This I accept as my error. BUT if water hadn’t entered in the first place I wouldn’t have had any of these problems.
I still maintain the original problem is the diameter of the glass is too small for the top O ring to sit comfortably on the glass and seal properly.
I am informed that the original O rings were triangular in section, with a flat section sitting on the glass.
Where do I stand, do I order another new speedo, or go for a different type.
Perhaps back to original with gearbox on fr wheel. Don’t wash your bike!
Ciao T.

Cyborg

VOC Member
These are an option.

As previously mentioned, they aren’t identical in size to the originals, but look ok Can’t vouch for reliability, but website claims they are waterproof to IP67
Bezels are crimped on.... we’ll see if that’s good or bad. They look better in real life than in the photos.

B186B16A-2A15-497C-BB76-7EDA643E0012.jpeg
B4E06632-8D37-467C-9ADC-F6A6C65DC4F1.jpeg

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Further to the cause. On receiving my supposedly reconditioned speedo back at a cost of £170 including postage. This was after a company in Melbourne cast an eye over it, at approx $100. The original problem being the ingress of water. My mistake, I shouldn’t have washed it!
When I received the speedo back I immediately unscrewed the bezel to see how the water sealing situation was addressed.
To my surprise the lower of the two O rings was left out. Apparently a lower O ring was not an original fitment. It certainly was when I received the bike new from France. The bezel lower to body was not sealed with TRV, as it was originally.
At this point in time I decided to change the original nine wires for a DB9 computer cable with 9pin plug for ease of assembly/disassembly. The original 9pins supplied with the pike were more or less a permanent fixture.
On retesting after changing the wires I found it was intermittent in operation.
This I can only put down to my error when attaching the new wire harness!
This I accept as my error. BUT if water hadn’t entered in the first place I wouldn’t have had any of these problems.
I still maintain the original problem is the diameter of the glass is too small for the top O ring to sit comfortably on the glass and seal properly.
I am informed that the original O rings were triangular in section, with a flat section sitting on the glass.
Where do I stand, do I order another new speedo, or go for a different type.
Perhaps back to original with gearbox on fr wheel. Don’t wash your bike!
Ciao T.
A different type?? What about these

1568355072824.png

on evil bay from India. Under A$100 for the pair including shipping! ebay item #202455930089