Electric Start For Vincent

Denny653

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The reason that I went with the Grossest deal was that he's been doing this for decades. His kit is dialed in. Since building choppers in the late 60's until now, I always wanted the latest, greatest. When something is new, the customer becomes the test mule. A year ago I bought a 4 speed trans for my '33 Harley VL. The trans has been in and out of the bike three times and it still hasn't turned a wheel under its own power.
If you are purchasing an electric start for your Vincent, ask for the phone numbers of a couple of owners and see what their experience has been.

vibrac

VOC Member
The grosset ES is not perfect but it works. The herve one when it comes will be excelent How can I be so sure? because it was forever waiting for the Comet one but I fitted one of the first and its still working OK so if you want a Herve one you must wait he wont release till its spot on.
I shall fit a Grosset ES my only decision left is do I want to carry all that kick start lever and crank around as well?

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The grosset ES is not perfect but it works. The herve one when it comes will be excelent How can I be so sure? because it was forever waiting for the Comet one but I fitted one of the first and its still working OK so if you want a Herve one you must wait he wont release till its spot on.
I shall fit a Grosset ES my only decision left is do I want to carry all that kick start lever and crank around as well?
My right knee and hip ache at times so I removed the kickstart on my Rapide to avoid the temptation to kickstart and (hopefully) avoid\delay having a big operation. If you remove the kickstart quadrant behind the cover you save a little weight and create space to set up some stops to avoid overthrow in the gearchange mechanism.

vibrac

VOC Member
My right knee and hip ache at times so I removed the kickstart on my Rapide to avoid the temptation to kickstart and (hopefully) avoid\delay having a big operation. If you remove the kickstart quadrant behind the cover you save a little weight and create space to set up some stops to avoid overthrow in the gearchange mechanism.
I used that method with edge on nuts and cap screws for a long time but then my son showed me a better way I belive the idea came from the Quirks , small limiting grub screws in the G49 casting I shall put that in my proposed twin

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I used that method with edge on nuts and cap screws for a long time but then my son showed me a better way I belive the idea came from the Quirks , small limiting grub screws in the G49 casting I shall put that in my proposed twin
Dear Tim,
Besides being a good rider your lad is smart too. Must have inherited it from his dad.;) Some more details\photographs\sketch of how Ben sorted this mod out would be useful. I could remove my edge nuts and screws and probably put my kickstart back on too. I've got the engine in bits at the moment so a good time to do any mods.