E5 Fuel

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What sort of cars ? There is rarely ever a problem in having leadfree in old cars unless they got iron heads and high revs. We never had lead fuel for the 1964 E-Type when we got it in 1989 or so. But yes, I made modern valve seats for it while having a full restoration. For the Ford Capris I modded the iron heads for seat inserts just for exhaust for long time unleaded, no problems since decades. And no black spark plugs on them with proper carburation.

Vic

P1010772.JPG

P1100644.JPG

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hi Vic, My experience with my highly tuned but not "ridiculous" race engine differs from yours. It has been running on 50/50 since I first got I running in 1988 and the "Proof of the Pudding" is in the eating. In NZ I had to use 100% Avgas at Pukekohe. See Photo. Most of the Classic racers over here now use Race Fuel which is even more expensive. As I mentioned above I may Try Esso at Prescott but a couple of slowish runs up the hill will not be the same full actual race conditions.
Loved the cars, I have fond memories so my Mk 1 & 1/2 "Facelift" Capri which unfortunately rusted badly. What a pretty car.

Attachments

• PICT8108.JPG
    PICT8108.JPG
    475.2 KB · Views: 7

oexing

VOC Member
Roy, I did not talk about racers and their ridiculous c.r. in some engines. There is a limit for gasoline and then you have methanol like in speedway engines . But while discussing E 10 or E 5 I don´t see a need for avgas for roadgoing machines just to cure black plugs or storage in winter. In our engines we try to have Super 98 all times, 100 octane available if wanted but pricy. As to racing classics I have not come to a good opinion about motifs in that playground and better not post anything here . Seems a lot about personalities and posers and all . . .

Vic

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
For those of us that have purchased Vincent motorcycles with unknown engine internals, and if you are anything like me, and prefer to leave a good running engine well alone, there is no way of knowing what material your exhaust valve seats are made from, other than waiting for problems to arise.

I therefore prefer to use Esso Synergy Supreme 99+ and then add to it genuine Tetraethyl Lead in the form of Tetra Boost E Guard 15, I would not dream of using any of the lead substitute products, lead has a proven track record over the last 100 years, you have to take care when mixing it with fuel, it can be a very dangerous substance, but the safety instructions are very well explained with the product, I am not breaking any rules, and I do not believe that the amount of lead coming out my exhaust pipe is going to significantly damage the planet.

LoneStar

VOC Member
It's accepted that E10 attracts water, so stores poorly. But here in the US we've been burning it in Vincents for at least 30 years, apart from the few who seek out avgas or racing fuel, without any visible running problems. Possibly UK E10 is formulated differently, or the concerns are overstated.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
E10 came out here in 1978 and leaded fuel was discontinued for on road vehicles in 1996. I'm running Mikuni VM28 carbs and have been for a long while. I messed about with jetting them and making the cut away on the slide a 3 1/2, I wasn't able to find anything larger here than a 2. The plugs don't soot up. Every time I fill up I drop some Sta-Bil in the tank. I know I can go out in the garage right now and fire it up without issue.
Steven

Speedtwin

VOC Member
From experience e10 unleaded as well as the higher ethanol content has a short storage life, it will go off in months.
Super unleaded 99 has a better tank life.

Have come across those little ss baskets with lead pellets in fuel tanks during checks on helicopter and light aircraft fuel systems not sure of the benefit of these things, they are supposed to aid fuel tank life I am sceptical.
There was one in my twin tank when I got it, plus side was as it rattled around it kept the tank clean when I found it I threw it in the bin. Downside was it broke of the filter stems on the fuel taps....
Best place for gizmos is the bin.
Al

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
There was a local rider of Meriden Triumphs who swore by those little metal marbles in the fuel tank, he reckoned they transformed the running of his bikes, i didn't believe him then and I don't now, he is now deceased. Surely to achieve anything they have to give something up, so they would weigh less than their original weight after a period of time, if weighed on extremely accurate digital scales, and if it was shown that the weight remained a constant, then they do nothing, they are a placebo for the rider. I have neither the money to waste, the time or inclination to weigh them to prove the theory, but I am convinced they are no more than snake oil.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
What sort of cars ? There is rarely ever a problem in having leadfree in old cars unless they got iron heads and high revs. We never had lead fuel for the 1964 E-Type when we got it in 1989 or so. But yes, I made modern valve seats for it while having a full restoration. For the Ford Capris I modded the iron heads for seat inserts just for exhaust for long time unleaded, no problems since decades. And no black spark plugs on them with proper carburation.

Vic
Well my car is pretty old school and I wont be putting old petrol in that

View attachment 56302