David Hills

deejay499

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi. Pip`s sidecar has ben owned by Colin Jenner of Conways for some time now. Hope to see it back on the road sometime.
Dave

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Dave,
Phillip must have needed some parts for his Vincent or doesn't want his wife along for the ride!!
I had my first ride in a left hand chair with PiP. He lifted the chairs wheel
on a bend to show me what it felt like.
Cheers,
Ken Smith

Hi. Pip`s sidecar has ben owned by Colin Jenner of Conways for some time now. Hope to see it back on the road sometime.
Dave

rwhitne2

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello ,..Has anyone any experince of fitting a David Hills centre-stand (Black Shadow)..your score,,0-10 (10 being childs play). Thanks
Ian - fitted a David Hills centre stand to my D Shadow 4 years ag. Most practical best investment for the $ I have made. . Yes had to space out the exhaust a bit etc, fitting was straightforward and David Hills is one fine devoted gentleman. Mike Whitney

vapide

Non-VOC Member
The one thing that has kept me from fitting one of these stands is that there seem to be so many varients, depending on suspension and wheel size. I tend to be indecisive about these things, and fiddle a lot, so my fear is I would constantly be having to alter the stand.

Can anyone who know more about them explain to me why they are not made more adjustable, say, with threaded adjustable bottom pads, so the stand could be perfectly adjusted to the machine, and one size would fit everything?

Michael

Forum User
VOC Member
Where can I find one

Does David Hills have a web site where I can find out about purchasing one of the centerstands?

b'knighted

VOC Member
Adjustable footpads

Hi Vapide,

I am sure that you could get that simple design change done. I have seen at least one such stand, belonging, I believe to Peter Bromberg. That would cope with varying wheel sizes on one bike but would not necessarily make a single stand fit every bike without fettling.

Cheers, Ian

hooterman

VOC Member
Dave Hills Stand

Hi there,
Best way to contact Dave is via his phone number in MPH, I fitted stand for standard "C" comet last week no problems at all only slight touch with a file req to Left side plate.This is my 2nd stand from Dave and as far as I am concerned they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
It grates on me that this stand is known as the "Dave Hill Stand".

"IT IS NOT"

The stand was designed, built, and used many years ago by my good friend and VOC member, "PIP" Billing, who has now passed away. I gave copy's of the following instructions, photographs, and blueprints to Mr Hill, as he had commented on how good it worked on the one I built and installed on my Vincent. I do not cast any aspersions on Dave for his manufacturing the stands or for any modifications he has made. (Though I personally find "PIP'S" original locking foot lever a better design.) I am very sorry "PIP" name has now been replaced as the true innovator here.

Sorry for the rant but at least some of you may now remember "PIP when you put down his stand.

Ken Smith:mad:

PIPS_Stand_0003_638_x_877_.jpg
PIPS_Stand_0005_638_x_877_.jpg
PIPS_Stand_0004_638_x_877_.jpg

I may be mistaken but these drawings show a different design of centre stand to those marketed as "Dave Hills stands". Whoever designed those that Dave sells has done the Vincent world a big favour.

clevtrev

VOC Member
I may be mistaken but these drawings show a different design of centre stand to those marketed as "Dave Hills stands". Whoever designed those that Dave sells has done the Vincent world a big favour.
`Twas a man by the name of Larry Honour, from Bordon in Hampshire.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Didn't we go through all this a few months ago? In fact the current stand is a development of what Dave originally supplied. The first of his stands did not have the tread down fixing and then when that was incorporated it later had a strengthening bar put across it to triangulate the step down part. I know for a fact the the incorporation of the tread down part was at the behest of Dick Sherwin who repeatedly experimented by having a piece welded on, trying it, then cutting it off and having it welded on at different position until it has maximum leverage. So, no matter whoever designed it first, like almost everything else that works in this world it is a result of development, trial and error. :)