• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

David Hills

Ian Watson

Active Website User
Non-VOC Member
Hello ,..Has anyone any experince of fitting a David Hills centre-stand (Black Shadow)..your score,,0-10 (10 being childs play). Thanks

amiller

New Website User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Ian,

Fitted one of David's Centre Stands for my Comet, so not sure how this compares to Black Shadow.

But from my experience I score it 1 to 2 on your scale depending on how competant you are with spanner and file - with minor adjustment (filing on new bracket) on primary chaincase side and minor adjustment (adding a spacer) of lower exhaust bracked out a bit so that the exhaust doesn't come into contact with centre stand. I am really happy with it. David was really helpfull and he supplied a stand very quickly. - Highly Recommended.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I would agree. These stands are a definite improvement for a Vincent and I find it very hard to improve on much of the original. I fitted one to a Rapide years ago so the experience should compare with that to be expected with a Shadow. Dave's biggest dis-service to himself it to suggest that it can be fitted in one hour. Not the first time it can't, if my experience is typical. The problem is that one has to file or grind the part of the stand which limits its total movement. If it does not move far enough then the stand is too vertical and the bike could roll forward if it was facing down a slope and fall over. If it moves too much then the stand goes too far over centre and the rear wheel might hit the ground and hence not leave enough weight on the stand and once again it would be susceptible to falling over. Not wanting to take too much off I fitted and took off the stand 10 - 12 times or more, each time taking a bit more off the stand to allow it to move further. This is not Dave's fault as the bikes are so different from each other that the amount of movement required is very different bike to bike. Once it is on and adjusted properly you will be a happy user. :)

Mickthevin

Non-VOC Member
D. Hills stand

I have 3 stands on my vincents and as far as i am concerned they are indispensable. As for fitting i am at the bottom of the engineering evolutionary scale and even i managed it although it did take longer than the quoted 1 hour
cant recommend them enough

mick

deejay499

VOC Member
Mick. Fit it first then remove and get it painted. Mine went on a Comet and was straight forward. One of the best things I have done with a Vincent :D(apart from putting a chair on one!);)
Dave

Vic Youel

Non-VOC Member
Currently Dave has not accessed this forum...if you talk to him as an enthusiast you may even find he comes over and fits the stand. I personally regard it is unique privelige to have his knowledge available at our monthly Aldershot meetings. He carries on learning about the many dimensionable variables associated with this unique centre stand accesory of which the Phils would have been proud.

As far as I am concenred it is indispensable.

Vic

indianken

Non-VOC Member
"pip" billing stand

It grates on me that this stand is known as the "Dave Hill Stand".

"IT IS NOT"

The stand was designed, built, and used many years ago by my good friend and VOC member, "PIP" Billing, who has now passed away. I gave copy's of the following instructions, photographs, and blueprints to Mr Hill, as he had commented on how good it worked on the one I built and installed on my Vincent. I do not cast any aspersions on Dave for his manufacturing the stands or for any modifications he has made. (Though I personally find "PIP'S" original locking foot lever a better design.) I am very sorry "PIP" name has now been replaced as the true innovator here.

Sorry for the rant but at least some of you may now remember "PIP when you put down his stand.

Ken Smith:mad:

PIPS_Stand_0003_638_x_877_.jpgPIPS_Stand_0005_638_x_877_.jpgPIPS_Stand_0004_638_x_877_.jpg

Last edited:

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Here are two other photos relating to "PIP's" stand.

All photos are posted on the "uncharacterized 2008" photo file. Go there, open the photo of interest and click on the photo to bring up the full sized document.

Ken Smith
PIPS_Stand_0001_638_x_877_1.jpgPIPS_Stand_0002_638_x_877_1.jpg

Last edited:

ray vinmad

VOC Member
Mine just dropped into place on my 49 Rap with 21 inch front & 19 rear tyres and was perfect from day one. The annoying thing was having to take it back off to paint it!!!
Lots of people have made their own versions over the years, but not many would make one for anyone. Dave Hills will, and has made hundreds, Pip Billinbgs obviously can't.
Thats why they are known as Dave Hills stands, not because he invented it.
Well done Dave.
By the way, I don't like this using a persons name as the subject. I keep thinking its an obituary

Ray

champion

VOC Member
Got one for my fathers 'C' Rap went on very quickly and easily. Then spent some time just adjusting it to make sure it was 100%

Im sure it was voted as one of the top 2 mods ever done to a Vincent the Stands are A*!

They allow the bike to be started whilst still on the stand. Useful for my fathers Knee replacement.

They prevent 70year olds having to try and stand behind a 1000cc of Vin and lift it up onto its stand.

They can be drilled allowing a disc brake lock to be used for security.

There are lot's of photos of the stand around, and in the photo gallery there were also some of modified and personalised stands.

Last edited:

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Mine just dropped into place on my 49 Rap with 21 inch front & 19 rear tyres and was perfect from day one. The annoying thing was having to take it back off to paint it!!!
Lots of people have made their own versions over the years, but not many would make one for anyone. Dave Hills will, and has made hundreds, Pip Billinbgs obviously can't.
Thats why they are known as Dave Hills stands, not because he invented it.
Well done Dave.
By the way, I don't like this using a persons name as the subject. I keep thinking its an obituary

Ray

I gave Dave the photos, blueprints and notes so he could build them when he was over here at a Keystone section event some years ago. He was not doing stands yet.

Just ask him.

"PIP" would send anyone who wanted one the same information. He was in his mid 80's when he passed and had owned Vincents since before WW2. He road his last Irish National Rally on his Vincent and chair when he was 84. And seeing your address, he helped keep England free by flying as a flight engineer on Lancaster bombers all through WW2

And I guess "PIP's" stand is part of a great Vincent owners obituary. He is greatly missed by me.

Ken Smith

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
In no way suggesting that Pip did not build his own sidecar however the one illustrated looks very like a Blacknell Bullet. The works supplied a number of outfits so fitted in the early post war years. I believe it was one such outfit that Phil Irving took back to Australia.

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Yes, I thought it looked like a Blacknell Bullet.

I'm sure Dave Johnson will be able to tell us.

Nice of you to ask. I hope Dave responds.

That sidecar was completely made by PIP. It was left, along with his Vincent motorcycle to Phillip Tooth, PIPs best mate. If you are not familiar with Phillip, he was the chief editor of both "Classic Bike" and "The Classic Motorcycle" I believe he still has the chair. For more info I would contact him.

It has a vary interesting chassis design. By manipulating one lever next to the passenger seat you could change the chairs spring rate, it's ride height, and the side cars wheel toe in and camber. He needed it when he took me out riding as ballast one day!

There were blue prints for the chair and chassis, I had a short look at them myself during one of my visits with him but I was too stupid to ask him for copy's. I think they may now be forever lost to us.

Ken Smith

plasticbeer

VOC Member
Dave Hills asked me to post the bit below for him.

I do not usually read the letters that appear on this site but one letter written by Ken Smith has been passed on to me and I feel that I should correct some of the inaccurate statements which Ken has made.
It is quite true to say that I met Ken in 2003 at the home of Philip Tooth-then editor of "Classic Bike" and subsequently he passed on to me drawings of Pip Billings stand. However please be aware that I had been making and selling the present stands for many years prior to this meeting(reference my advertisements in MPH from the 90's) and one glance at the drawings which Ken has included in his letter will show you that this stand("Pip's") is NOT the same as the one which I have been producing for years. After I received the drawings of Pips stand from Ken I did make a prototype as indeed it incorporates some additional features which some may find beneficial but I never sold any of this design .I still have the prototype. My current(forever) stands are very easy to fit and can easily be adapted to just about any post war Vincent. Pip's stand is far more complex with lots of detail refinements,tighter limits and it needs more fitting skills if it is to fit every Vincent. Mass producing Pip's type of stand would not be straightforward as each would need 'adjustable' hole positions, clearances . 'link' shape etc. Sorry Ken but you are wrong in insinuating that I copied Pip's design. Pip was a Friend of mine also going back many years-if the acknowledgements of the 'tread-down' were his I would be the first to say so. He was a nice bloke and a good pal . He and I used to meet at the Munster Club's annual "Irish Rally"in the early 90's and we always told each other that he was the other half of the Vincent entry. There was never more than two Vincents entered. Incidentally Pip was usually not a VOC member -if he ever was ,even though his picture popped up on the cover of MPH showing his lovely home made sidecar which I believe is still owned by Philip Tooth.
Incidentally I never called the current stand "The Dave Hills" stand-that is the name that hundreds of satisfied customers called it long before I met Ken Smith.

indianken

Non-VOC Member
Plasticbeer,
Please pass this on to Dave.
Thanks,
Ken Smith

Dave,
I apologize for my incorrect statements. I should have tried to check with you first before posting anything. My only excuse is my great regard for PIP has distorted my memory.
I have a high regard for your workmanship. If you remember, years ago, we also met at the Mid Ohio Vintage races. There I a gave you one of the side stands I made up. (my blatant copy of an aftermarket BMW stand), . I said to you, feel free to make them up if you liked how it worked and if you could show a few penny's of profit on them.

I had hoped you would give it a try, as I have not seen anything more stable and secure on the market for Vincents.

Again, my apology's for any unintended slight I may have inferred.

Yours,
Ken Smith

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?