David Hills

deejay499

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
addition

Peter. You mean that you did not bring an MPH with you? See Dave Hills ad in the back, but in the meantime I will PM it to you.
Oops, see it has already been done.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The Hill's stands work very well, although I found the bottom pads to be too small for adequate support if parked on a lawn or anywhere other than ahsphalt, hard packed gravel or concrete.
I cut the original pads off and welded on some larger ones, roughly double the area. With the larger pads, the chain side pad required a little notch for chain clearance.
The stands do need to be fitted with a little care. My first Rapide came from Oz with the stand fitted. The bike has a lot of springbox showing in the rear and needed a longer stand than the one fitted. It also needed material removed from the stop to get it properly over centre, as Time Traveller explained. I knew none of this and parked it on a BC ferry early on. Somewhere between Vancouver and Saltspring Island the bike rolled forward off the stand and slid under a Van. Fortunately there was only minor damage to the headlight. Crash bars are a good thing. Young guys call them "sliders" and think they were invented for their new plastic bikes.

Back to the Ferry, the fellow with the lovely Shadow parked next to my fallen machine remarked " Thank God it didn't fall the other way and hit my bike" He meant it too. Not much sympathy there! On the other hand, he was right, I would probably still be paying off the debt.

Bad Karma got him tho, he was 5 minutes off the Ferry at the other end and decided to go into a store. A lady backing out of her parking space flattened his Shadow. So she is probably still paying that one off!

When I fitted the larger pads I also extended the legs and removed material from the stop, now it lifts the rear tire 1" off the ground and is well over centred.
I also built a nearly identical stand for my other Rapide, big pads included. It is a considerable amount of work. If it weren't for the fact that I would have altered a new Hills stand anyway, it would have made sense just to purchase his instead. For that one I used 1/4" aluminium side plates to keep the weight down. I do not see strength as an issue. With the whole arrangement bolted up the 1/4" al. plate is plenty strong.
Dave, if you are reading, have you considered building them with al side plates for the weight conscious among us?

Glen

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Dave ,no but I checked online and could not find the current MPH ,I can not believe we are still spending so much money posting it all over the world.

jim burgess

VOC Member
The one thing that has kept me from fitting one of these stands is that there seem to be so many varients, depending on suspension and wheel size. I tend to be indecisive about these things, and fiddle a lot, so my fear is I would constantly be having to alter the stand.

Can anyone who know more about them explain to me why they are not made more adjustable, say, with threaded adjustable bottom pads, so the stand could be perfectly adjusted to the machine, and one size would fit everything?

They are brilliant. Easy fit, start the bike on the stand, role off whist sitting astride the bike, stick it in gear and go! Sure beats the hearnia from the rear stand!
Jim Burgess