PR: Proprietary Items Craven rack dimensions and drawings

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Thanks Steve, please post pictures of your Craven if you get a chance please.
I removed the spacer washers from my rear arm lower clamp mount and replaced them with a 5/16 nut to allow tighter control of the clearance at this location as well as provide a firm anchor to torque the clamp tight around the lift handle.

View attachment 15554
Not the pink bracket, the other one, otherwise the nut will vibrate off. The yellow nut is then a lock-nut. I know this from personal experience.

Diogenes

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I would like to fab up a Craven rack, but rather than guess at the dimensions and material sizes, I thought I would ask for help here at VOC please.
There are plenty of photos on the web . Here are a couple photos from eBay sale years ago.
What is the material dimensions of the parallel seat straps?
If the short offset tabs adjoining these long straps to the rear seat tabs are inline with seat stays, it seems
the bolts/nuts might rub the seat stays.
Are there drawings of these Craven rack pieces available?
Are there instruction sheets from the era specifically on Vincent fitment available?
Cheers
Craig

View attachment 13306
Those interested in Craven equipment and its use will find it worth viewing:

http://velobanjogent.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Craven luggage equipment
As far as I can tell it does not contain detailed fabrication drawings.

It does refer to

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/craven-ken-mollie/info

which in turn links to

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/craven-ken-mollie_3/files/Craven Brochures/

I was amused to see in 2017 owners trying to use Craven equipment on Vincents.
Presumably for show purposes only.

See earlier MPH issues for the many reports of failures in service of the Craven support framework and Ken Craven's apologetic reply.
However, the Craven boxes were and are fine.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I finally got the Buco Twinmaster bags adapted to the Craven Rack. It took some doing, but they are very solidly attached and remove easily. I took Albervin's advice and added a brace at the rear, but did not weld it. I don't have the lights hooked up yet, but will eventually have running lights in the outside lights and brake lights in the inside lights. They don't have the stately look of Craven bags, but they are (almost) period. I have owned these since the mid 60's and had them on a 305 Superhawk I used in college.

IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG IMG_0770.JPG

craig

VOC Member
I really like the lights and the style has kinda has grown on me. And these are available new construction.
I am thinking (doesn't happen often).

vibrac

VOC Member
Very American! I am sure they are greatly appreciated over there. the Bowden Brothers should keep two sets waiting in the US for when they visit

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Look too wide to me Tim, my ally panniers on the "B" although large capacity nearly touch the exhaust system but less than 28 inches wide so can get through any door ways and for filtering pour-poses great with blue lights and hazards going I could drive a Gold Wing through as traffic opens up 99 % of the time, dever been stopped with them fitted about 2003. Best mod I've done for being seen on the road. Still tend to wear High Vise in some form or other.
bananaman

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Marcuus, you are just about an inch narrower with your panniers. I think the shape of the bags is kind of deceiving. I have to admit these look quite like they belong in "Bye Bye Birdie", though I don't expect Ann-Margret will ever ride with me. The Buco's measure just a hair over 29" wide when mounted. I will be glad to get the lights on these hooked up since I have never had any great confidence in the tiny STOP light on a black motorcycle, even though it now has LED's. I am not sure it was worth fitting them to the Craven carrier, but I did not want to make a fully sprung subframe. Maybe someday when I get a welder.
The bags are available as reproductions, but I believe they come as bare fiberglass, and some of the hardware is available redone in SS. That's what I have on mine since the original stuff was pretty rusty. The original lights are also hard to find, but others can be adapted. I found some to replace the broken ones on mine on ebay. I also had to make the subframes that fit the bags to the Craven V rack, since the Honda mounting system will not work, and I did use the rubber mounted clamps I mentioned in an earlier post above. Now I have a way to carry raingear, a bike cover, and some spares.

craig

VOC Member
I am trying to understand all of the parts associated with Craven luggage. I see Draganfly website at - http://www.cravens.org.uk/index.php
They list some parts for Craven at the back of the catalog, but obviously not all parts. There are P prefix and B prefix part numbers.
Where is the/a complete listing of Craven luggage parts? Brackets, straps, special nuts, special bolts, strap handles, rivets, etc. ?