PR: Proprietary Items Craven rack dimensions and drawings

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Or just weld a little blob for the clamps to rest upon, on the inside of the lifting handle to be less conspicuous, that was my idea.

craig

VOC Member
How does the "Top Case" release from the Craven rack quickly to allow you carry the box off?
Just as this person is carrying a Fairline top case??
Special fasteners?
Thank you
Craig
Craven advert, The MC_,7 April 1960,opp_ page 429-1.jpg

craig

VOC Member
found another reference , but no details.
I request pictures of this Craven top case quick detach mechanism please.

craven-5red.jpg

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
My rack has the rectangle sides with the loop at the bottom. Here is the rack fitted on the Shadow. It's a late C Shadow that came with the long nut on the hinge, instead of a tommy bar, so clearance is not so much of an issue. Yes, the rack is a little chueco from side to side. The third picture, looking down from above, I think the camera does not preserve the perspective.

I had to make the arms that go below the seat. Wes Stoll fabricated all of the fasteners and alloy spacers. All 4 pivot locations on the top of the rack have bushings, plus bushings where the kinked arms join the clamps.

The flat steel plates where the 4 pivot points are, the plates are 9" apart.

I don't have any hard cases to mount to the rack, I use soft saddle bags and usually bungee a duffle bag on top when we need to carry a lot.

IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1365.JPG
IMG_1366.JPG

Here is the same rack fitted on my Comet, also with a nut on the hinge, this time a non-standard nut, still a little crooked from side to side.

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

Albervin

VOC Member
I took the rear arms of to reposition the bend to front.
Yes they now clear the "T" FT156AS hinge nut, however the rack is still vey close to Tnut.
I lowered the rack by pulling out the supplied, previous owner, 1/8" x 1½ extensions, so now the bottom of the Craven V rack is just barely above seat curve bottom.
The V rack seems better supported in this lower config, but I am not as happy .....maybe I will learn to love it.
There is no bush support, at the V rack, in these forward, long arms.....so I might assume the PO has cut these off??
I have a bronze washer installed, but there is no bush as in the rear arms.
We have no literature on Craven for Vincent to refer to??
View attachment 15552
I have reinforced the rack two ways due to breaks. First I welded a curved tube between the Vees and also welded that curve to the horizontal rack. Next I increased the welded area of the bottom bracket
where the Dzus fastener is located, taking in the full circumference of the curve. So far so good.

craig

VOC Member
What are the 6 holes providing (3 each side) shown below?
I see these same six holes in most Craven racks and , I think, they must be associated with the top box fastening.
CravenSideFrameRack1holes.jpg

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Interesting, the V rack shown fitted to a Vincent has the dogleg pointing to the front, and also the short leg at the bottom, not the top.