Concentric Modification

Trickymicky

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I wonder what that size is for ?, Can't be the hole where the petrol goes through the Float jet ?,
Which is where I have found the difference ?,
And why would the Alcohol one be smaller than the Fast flow ?.
It will be the diameter of the hole in the seat, Bill. Standard ones are 0.1. The alcohcol one is the biggest.

erik

VOC Member
Doing the same speed I have nearly the same fuel consumtion on the Rapide as on the Comet.In fact the fuel consuption of the twin is a very little bit lower.This means that the double amount of gasoline is flowing through the carb of the Comet!Making the flow better should have the more remarkeble effect on the single.Are there people out there with Comets and fuel problems?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Not sure if it's the World or Me ?,
Something is Strange,
My engines are tuned, Mk2 cams and 9 to 1 pistons,
The Twin gets about 50 to the gallon,
The Comet much better 65 plus ish,
The Twin has 2 carb's drinking ?.

In Richardson's Book it says 55 to 65 MPG UK. for the Twin,
And 75 to 80 MPG UK for the Comet .

Not sure about the stuff in USA /Canada, I think there Pints are different ?.

erik

VOC Member
So the Comet is about 3,5 Liter on 100 km.Doing the same speed and full acceleration to follow the twin I could not reach this what Richardson says.

greg brillus

VOC Member
My racer 665 single on methanol.........I ran a brand new Keihin CR 39 mm round slide racing carby, with alL the jets and needle valve modified to run on methanol.........On the dyno at 5500 rpm it ran out of fuel.........we opened up the main jet twice and it made no difference at all........put the Gardener with remote SSI float back on and it ran no issue up to the 7000 limit.......albeit on the rich side, so safe........this time i am going back to the CR and running the same SSI float bowl with the innards of the bowl on the CR all removed........this will give it a huge supply of fuel........the CR was putting out slightly more power at 5500 rpm as what the engine gave at 7000 with the gardener on, possibly due to it leaning out, but still.......Probably the best carby out there next to fuel injection.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Not sure if it's the World or Me ?,
Something is Strange,
My engines are tuned, Mk2 cams and 9 to 1 pistons,
The Twin gets about 50 to the gallon,
The Comet much better 65 plus ish,
The Twin has 2 carb's drinking ?.

In Richardson's Book it says 55 to 65 MPG UK. for the Twin,
And 75 to 80 MPG UK for the Comet .

Not sure about the stuff in USA /Canada, I think there Pints are different ?.
Imperial pint = 20 oz.
U.S. pint = 16 oz.
That's the difference.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Imperial pint = 20 oz.
U.S. pint = 16 oz.
Sometime during elementary school we were taught that "A pint's a pound the world around," in order to remember how many ounces were in a pint.[*] It was only some years later that I learned my elementary school teacher had lied.

[*]For those of you in the metric world, a pound is 16 ounces.

Note that an Imperial pint is larger than a U.S. pint (because an Imperial gallon is larger) so, despite the 25% different number of ounces in the respective pints, the size of each of those ounces differs by just 4%.

LoneStar

VOC Member
That's a minor revelation - I had always thought that while US and Imperial gallons / quarts / pints / cups differed, we at least had common ground on the ounce - and the other measures only differed in the number of those.

I've been guilty of countless measurements that were wrong by 4%...