Concentric Modification

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Trouble is Jez's is 800 plus cc, Monster,
I am still worried about piston speed , If he rev's it too much.
To me it should have enough power not to need rev's,
But we shall see ,
I find it very interesting and hope it goes well.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
My Rapide has wee little 928 Premieres fitted. They seem to provide enough fuel for road use.
From 2004 to 2014 it had standard old 928 Concentrics fitted. They finally wore out , but the mileage was pretty high at that point.
With the old Concentric 928s fitted the bike ran at 115 mph indicated on the Sulby Straight. I haven't checked the speedo for accuracy at 115, however at 90 indicated the GPS says 92. So I think it's likely an honest 115.
It was enough to get by 5 twins that were racing ,all riders laid flat on the tank, on the Sulby Straight. The front runner was an immaculate Godet restored C Shadow, ridden by a young French fellow. I chatted with him afterward. He wanted to know what happened to my bike on the hill
His bike had stock carbs, although they might have been new.
It was a lot of fun, he passed me earlier on at a corner ( the Red Baron said do not pass on a corner or you will be expulsed from the Club!), I got by him on the Straight and then one plug overheated on the Mountain. He passed me again, this time me on a Comet running a 500 cc air compressor and going about 35 mph! He gave me a quizzical look as he flew past.
But fuel starvation wasn't an issue.
Must take a look at those float bowls to see if they have the notch.
The Premieres are as built but haven't been tested quite like that, although they have been used to pull up lots of long mountain grades 2 up in third at 80-85 mph, full throttle.

Jim Comstock has done a lot of dyno testing of stock and non-stock Commandos. He found that a good stock 850 makes 45-48 RWHP on his dyno, which is about on par with the claimed 58 bhp at crank.
They flow enough fuel for that ok, but if modified for more power then fuel flow does become an issue. On the other hand they like to blow up if you push them much past stock. So does the trans.

Glen

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
At one time I was buying lots of Mk1 Concentrics and bits, Must have been MAD !,
All very cheap at boot fairs,
I had 32 mm and 30 mm, In the finish got a pair of 28 mm which I got to work well.
I have seen that they could have different holes in the float needle hole, But same shutoff needle,
Some holes were very small, So there might be a bit of luck when buying.

I know it's not very logic, but I found it was better to have a main jet that could cope, ie smallish,
With the lack of flow, Rather than just putting a bigger main jet in , That it couldn't pass enough ?.

I was told some are made in Spain, Some worked better than others.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
This one had 180 main jets fitted and went very well, so I just did the same with the new Premieres.
It will 8 stroke a bit above 8,000 ft in elevation, but other than that runs great at sea level or in the mountains.

Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
As far as the body, it's all the same Zinc alloy.
Mazak is the common name. Zamak is another.

Holley auto carbs, Rochester's, Amal Monoblocs, Concentrics, Mikunis, Keihins, Dellortos, all are the same Zinc alloy with perhaps tiny differences depending on the supplier of the alloy.
The nice thing about the Mikuni is the chrome over brass slide.
The new Premieres have an anodized slide which showed zero wear at 18,000 miles, so they have dealt with that slide wear problem.
The very latest Premieres use an aluminium body. It might not be any better, but it does knock off 1.5 lbs in weight.

Glen

Phil Davies

Non-VOC Member
How do Amal's get away with selling stuff like this ?
The legend that is Ron Gardner (of carb fame) told me that the very reason he went into manufacture of his carbs was that when trying to point out an error to Amal they laughed at him instead of engaging with him.
I got a 3% power lift on a dyno when swapping out amal's for Gardner's like for like. I just wish that then I had the chance to race with them, they are now items in 'the garage hoard'.