Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Wow, 1969 !,
That shows I am not keeping up,
Being that I started Racing late 1970, I should have known,
Trouble is I have always tried to do things on the cheap !,
Second hand carb's, Back then,
But I must have bought new Dellortos and Gardners ?.

erik

VOC Member
I think the ordenary motorcyclist is not very often in circumstances where the carb throttle is fully open! May be on a german Autobahn with full speed for longer than a minute! So if like in most cases the throttle is only lifted not more than 5mm there will be enough fuel for the engine.Not so in a race! Erik

vibrac

VOC Member
The best mod for these carbs is a couple of aerolastics to catapult them to the nearest scrap bin that 250 Ducati I just bought for my grandson had one fitted luckily I found a TT in the cupboard thats 3 days of frustration saved.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Even my 36 mm Dellortos gave fuel Starvation,
Had to put float valves from the 40 mm, As told by Dellortos,
Don't go fast enough now !, But I think the Mk2, Concentric is a far better carb' ?.

erik

VOC Member
With my tools in my dental laboratry it is no problem to make this slot in the floatbowl.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
This is the trouble with me, Second hand parts , Not wanting to spend too much !,
Without talking to the makers,
But I would not trust some people anyway, Few really know there stuff.

davidd

VOC Member
The Amal Concentric MkI is not a suitable carb for racing. It is unable to supply enough fuel at full throttle. That said, there are tuners who do mods to make the Concentric work well. I don't feel right about using a carb that is not designed to deliver sufficient fuel at full throttle.

I am pretty certain that none of the round remote floats made by Amal deliver enough fuel at full throttle. They are huge, but they do not flow well. I think that these float bowls needed mods to flow large quantities of fuel.

The Amal 510/1 float bowl flows more fuel than any other Amal float bowl, according to Tom Ullman, Amal's chief engineer. I think the best set-up for a Comet is the stock Flash or Lightning set-up. It will go pretty fast without fuel starvation. If you want absolute top performance you will have to customize any carb you choose.

100_2725 L.jpg

This set-up works well on a Vincent.

I think the MK2 carbs are pretty good. I don't have much experience with them because AHRMA banned them after Carleton and I started using them. I believe Roy Robertson uses MK2 carbs. But, I think I agree with Greg that any carb with a float bowl attached below the main jet may be prone to fuel starvation. This is why I picked up a double float bowl MK2.

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2419.JPG

These float bowls used to be made by Amal of Spain for the super flat tracks where the bike would be leaned to one side for an extended period of time.

David