Misc: Everything Else Cometic Gaskets

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I think you will have to order a set from Paul Holdsworth....They are absolutely worth the effort..why not get a few lads together and place a bulk order?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
When I switched from Hylomar to the Cometic gasket for the timing cover, I renewed the rubber seals to make sure the oil feeds to the spindles was maintained. I thought the old seals would be crushed and the gasket thickness would leave a gap.

greg brillus

VOC Member
With regards to the ET 183 seals, I don't know how others do it, but I check them one at a time to make sure they have the right amount of sealing crush on them. Too little could cause them to leak and be ineffective, too much will cause them to crush and squish out around the sides. I just put one in and check it by holding the timing cover home with hand pressure, then remove the cover and see the witness mark impression left in the rubber. I don't bother with timing cover gaskets at all, so this is easier to check. I think lots of cases of poor oiling to the spindles are as a result of these seals not being set up correctly.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
How thick are the Cometic gaskets? Also what colour are they? Grey/ silver would show against a black engine and also a black gasket against a bare engine etc.