Comet suspension

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Answer my other questions please , as much as you know about . Like pulling teeth . Sid .

I have answered you Sid, and I am at work at the moment sneaking back and forth to the computer, luckily my boss is not too bright.
I have only just discovered the problem of the bent blades Sid, I know nothing of it's history and I have no idea what occured or what other damage has been sustained Yet.
I will be removing blades etc this weekend or sooner if possible.
Thanks mate
Kevin

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
A final suggestion on the fender contact problem . If nothing else suits one might well work over the front fender stay holes to reposition the stay and fender a bit further forward . Slot the existing holes or drill others a bit further along . Simply reshape the stays flattened ends to acheve what's needed . Might it be an overly long stay ? Sid .

Hi Sid, I am reluctant to move other bits to accomodate the bent blades, I would much rather get to the root cause and rectify that first.

Regards
Kevin

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Kevin, IF those forks were on that UFM when it had the crash ? Have a good look at the Steering Head bearings and the fit in the UFM, If the bearings are loose that can cause a lot of trouble, After a crash it can Stretch the holes where the Cups go, Good Luck, Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Much as I do not want to disagree with a man of BigSid's experience I could not disagree more with his advice that all will be well if all three spindles pass through their respective holes. Suppose that both fork blades have bent by the same amount (mine did) then all three spindles will fit but the front wheel could still be an inch behind where it should be. That is not going to help the handling or your laundry bill!!

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Much as I do not want to disagree with a man of BigSid's experience I could not disagree more with his advice that all will be well if all three spindles pass through their respective holes. Suppose that both fork blades have bent by the same amount (mine did) then all three spindles will fit but the front wheel could still be an inch behind where it should be. That is not going to help the handling or your laundry bill!!
I agree with you TT, check photo http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/photos/search.php?searchid=4638 BOTH forks are the same, I believe that if i get the top spindle, the headlight bracket (F85/1) bolt and the lower spindle aligned then I will be cooking with gas.....thoughts?

Regards
Kevin

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes, I agree, You lost me for a bit, But I see what you mean, But it is a hell of an ASK to get that back again, I thought I was brave doing a rear frame ,But I think I would hang them on the wall !! I think/hope the blades came off another bike, I bet his head hurts !! Cheers Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Of course the damages might be more intensive than I've been told , that so very little . It should be stripped of every damaged piece and closely examined . The links themselves will also need being replaced after such a severe impact , and our steering head components were damaged in several ways .
It's said that a fool can even kill a cast iron pig . It's often been also said that a Vincent can shrug off what will destroy a telescopic fork , but there are limits . Been there , done it . Sid .

timetraveller

VOC Member
I agree with you TT, check photo http://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/p...?searchid=4638 BOTH forks are the same, I believe that if i get the top spindle, the headlight bracket (F85/1) bolt and the lower spindle aligned then I will be cooking with gas.....thoughts?

My worry is this and you have to think about what 'trail' is, and what it is for, in the context of front forks. A line drawn through the steering head will hit the ground some distace in front of where the lowest part of the tyre does. The tyre then drags behind this pivot point like a castor. If the lower part of the forks with the spindle hole, and thus the wheel/tyre etc have all moved backwards then the trail will have increased (NOT DECREASED AS I WROTE EARLIER). This will mean that the bike is a pig to steer round corners but much more importantly, if you go over a large bump and the forks plus wheel drop to their lowest position then there seems to be a likelyhood that the mudguard will foul the mag cover and you will lock up the steering. You don't want to do that!!