Comet suspension

Big Sid

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The blades usually bend up top over the upper slim section right below the top spindle hole . This is the weakest area in a frontal impact . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Old as I am I still enjoy learning of the latest techniques , and you fine fellows provide me lots to think about . Deeply appreciate it , and thank you for taking the time . You guys have modern educations where I only went to High school , graduated in 1949 , so long ago it is but a dim memory .
My first real motorcycle motorcycle was a used but nice 500 cc rigid rear pushrod AJS single in 48 , followed by a new Matchless Twin in 1949 . First Vincent , a new 51 red touring Rapide . So I was immersed in this world of Motorcycles long before most of you .
And had to learn about them quickly as the Dealers generally knew less than I did about maintenance , repairs and tuning .
I learned quickly , had to . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
A final suggestion on the fender contact problem . If nothing else suits one might well work over the front fender stay holes to reposition the stay and fender a bit further forward . Slot the existing holes or drill others a bit further along . Simply reshape the stays flattened ends to acheve what's needed . Might it be an overly long stay ? Sid .

timetraveller

VOC Member
I'm with the school of thought that says that the blades are potentially dangerous. If you use them then you might not get to emulate BigSid's longevity. You cannot realistically reduce the travel of the damper without ruining that component. It is not just the mudguard stay hitting the mag cowl which is the problem but the massively reduced trail which is letting the wheel go so far to the rear that the collision can occur. I went through a hedge once with sidecar outfit and the front wheel ended up near the clutch cover. In that case the bottom spindle hole was only about one sixteenth of an inch out of line so whatever happened to your forks must have been quite serious. My guess is that you could straighten the blades cold with a modern hydraulic jack and some serious weights/holding down brackets. Of course if you have access to a good heat source then getting the blade hot should help but I would seek advice from a metalurgist before deciding what temperature was correct. For all I know the heating advice given earlier might be correct. Again, don't risk your life with the forks as they are. It is not likey to be just a matter of fiddling around with the length of the stays.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Any history on the accident damages them selves ? Was the front rim and wheel stoved in ? Fork links bent ? Steering head bearing races cracked ? Headstock damaged ? Details please . Matt had a heavy accident impact with his Shadow which we repaired . Led to me fitting dual Discs . Sid .

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Are the fork blades still bent ? We have a spare set . Sid .
Hi Sid, Yes mate they are still bent, I am not sure yet where the actual bend is as I have not yet removed the blades, I would assume as you mention that they are probably bent in the top slim section.
I am going to have to do a fair bit of measuring to dtermine exactly where they are bent I suppose, having no real datum point to start with.

I have sent you a PM concerning the spare fork blades.
Thanks for all your input mate.
Kevin

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Any history on the accident damages them selves ? Was the front rim and wheel stoved in ? Fork links bent ? Steering head bearing races cracked ? Headstock damaged ? Details please . Matt had a heavy accident impact with his Shadow which we repaired . Led to me fitting dual Discs . Sid .
I bought this Comet with absolutely no info on it's history and I took the previous owner at his word, in his words "a respected member of the VOC" and it has turned into a 2 year costly nightmare, as for other damage...links etc well I suppose I am about to find out. This is my first Vincent purchase and I unfortunately went in a little blind with rose coloured glasses.
Kevin

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Lay them side by side and try to pass the spindles through both , one atop the other , Simultanously , and the axle as well . You will soon learn where the damage is . If all will slide through nicely , all is good to go . There's no magic , just that all holes allign . Sid .