Comet suspension

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
David, your previous posts convinced me to install the springs. How about a link to the post? The spring rates matching between yours and standard at full compression was the convincer for me.

75lbs/in Red
92.5lbs/in Red and Blue
102.5lbs/in Red and White
110lbs/in Blue
120lbs/in Blue and White
130lbs/in White
Spring Box Length
Spring
Front End
Spring
Front End
Spring
Front End
Spring
Front End
Spring
Front End
Spring
Front End
14"
13"
MIDWAY
12"
11" std bottom

davidd

VOC Member
Bruce,

If you look at the blue 110 lbs spring and compare it to the stock D spring, the D spring is at 464 lbs at midway and 653 lbs at full bump. The short springs are slightly softer at midway, 330 lbs and the same at full bump, 660 lbs. So, the short spring has no preload in the first half of its movement and is "softer", but as your fork compresses, the rate of the short spring catches back up to stock and finishes at the same load.

To get back to the Comet, I chose 150 lbs. by using two 75 lbs springs. The stock Comet spring for the Bramptons was 160 lbs. I went ten pounds lighter because I was trying to accomodate all the singles, including the Grey Flash, which weighs 100 lbs less than the 400 lb Comet. Jan Wiley has used the short Comet springs for years and neither she nor the people who have ridden here Comet have found any fault. As a result, neither Sam nor I saw any serious issue with the set up.

It may well be that this set up is on the light side. A red and a blue spring might be a better set up, particularly for boys. It is a major reason that I had several springs made. There is no other way that I know of to adjust the ride height on the front end, so even though it may require another spring, it is a very small price to pay for the improved handling and limiting the prospect of a wobble.

Just as an aside, the damper determines the fork travel. The length of the outer spring boxes vary wildly. Mine looks like Kevin's, but I have never bottomed out the racer. The distance between the spring box attachment holes when the fork is at full extension varies quite a bit from bike to bike. There should not be any "play" in the spring box and you should have to compress it slightly to mount it.

David

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I know I should not have read this thread, our Comet racer steers and handles a dream has done for years and years but I have absolutely no idea what springs are in the forks but I do know there were 2 pieces of inch long broom handle put up each spout first -why? because thats was the received wisdom was back when most Vincents were racing round Cadwell with this club in the sixties (we were not so scientific back then). now I suppose during this years strip down I had better measure them up and modify my valve spring poundage tester to see what I have.
More work :)

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I have just run a string line between the centre of the top and bottom links (through the centre of the forward pivots) and down to the front axle, the centre of the axle is approx 3/4" behind the string line? Should they all line up?
Kevin

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On fork mods . We did one Vincent which had a dozen hapenny coins stacked above one fork spring , bought out of England . I kept the coins . Sid .

davidd

VOC Member
I know I should not have read this thread, our Comet racer steers and handles a dream has done for years and years but I have absolutely no idea what springs are in the forks but I do know there were 2 pieces of inch long broom handle put up each spout first -why? because thats was the received wisdom was back when most Vincents were racing round Cadwell with this club in the sixties (we were not so scientific back then). now I suppose during this years strip down I had better measure them up and modify my valve spring poundage tester to see what I have.
More work :)

Tim,

Your racer has performed so well it is unlikely that there is a problem. If the front end is extended from high pre loads it will worsen the braking considerably and I doubt that you or Ben would have put up with that for long. Racers seem to push the issue. Carleton Palmer, John Renwick and I had the same problem on the same track. John and Carleton went off the track saying that the bike would not turn and I fell down in a tank slapper. Phil Mahood crashed his racer and when it was rebuilt a friend of his crashed it in exactly the same spot on the same track. It is always in a braking zone. Most of the crashes on the street are due to having to brake harder than is anticipated. Fortunately, this does not happen often on the street, but you usually do not have much of a choice when it happens. Carleton and Reg Bolton have had it happen on the street.

David

davidd

VOC Member
I have just run a string line between the centre of the top and bottom links (through the centre of the forward pivots) and down to the front axle, the centre of the axle is approx 3/4" behind the string line? Should they all line up?
Kevin

Kevin,

I cannot remember the details. I will take a look in the morning.

David

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I'm confused , are your forks Brampton girders or the later C type ?
If your fender touches the mag cowl on a C fork it's usually a front overlong damper with the long eye bolts combination . If its the Brampton forks it's probably a spring problem . Sid .

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I'm confused , are your forks Brampton girders or the later C type ?
If your fender touches the mag cowl on a C fork it's usually a front overlong damper with the long eye bolts combination . If its the Brampton forks it's probably a spring problem . Sid .

Sorry Sid, C model Comet with Girdraulics
Kevin

vibrac

VOC Member
Tim,

Your racer has performed so well it is unlikely that there is a problem. David

Thanks David but to be serious (It does happen:)) I had better see what I have on the Comet since I shall need to duplicate it for the Flash