Comet Oil Filter Woes

Vince Farrell

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think that the VOCS oil filter is OK but not for all Comets! There seems to be various shapes of centre boss on this model and the VOCS filter does NOT fit all correctly , yes it will go in and the brass cap will screw in tight but check what is actually happening inside the housing.
On mine the centre boss can only be described as "random shape" i.e. not machined on its outside edge at all, at its maximum diameter it is approx 30mm therefore the filter opening on that end also needs to be 30mm to allow it to sit over the boss onto a seal against the end of the housing. The "original" felt type filter was practically a 2'' tube with a seal each end this would easily accomodate any weird shapes of centre boss and provide full flow filtration . The VOSC filter which I removed from mine was NOT sealing over the centre boss thus allowing oil to "short circuit" and avoid going through the filter ,I hope there are no other Stevenage Steeds running around with this "undetectable" fault.

Current V3 filters have a 25mm hole, the maximum size possible to accommodate the internal steel tower. As filters on a Vincent are fed from the outside, Neal Videan (of V3) feels that supporting the paper element on the inside is necessary. He even thought of not having an external steel cage but decided to stick with it, as it makes for a more robust structure.
I suspect that anyone with a oil exit boss at the back of the chamber larger than 25mm need to continue using the best filter’s that were available in 1946. An alternative is to fit a modern external filter much favoured by owners of older Triumph’s, effective but they look a bugger.

aldeburgh

Non-VOC Member
The search for a paper cartridge filter that fits without modification continues, in the meantime ( ever hopeful of a dry spell at the end of "the snowy season" and before "the rainy season" )I have just received a new pleated felt element , made in UK , as per Tecalemit dimensions and it fits over the irregular shaped crankcase boss perfectly and will therefore actually have oil passing through it rather than round it!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
How do you pronounce "Tecalemit"? I don't think they sell in the US, so we never hear the word spoken.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
When you say "just received" and "made in the UK" are you prepared to divulge who is the supplier, how to contact them and what the cost per filter was??

There is a large audience waiting with bated breath!

Martyn
The search for a paper cartridge filter that fits without modification continues, in the meantime ( ever hopeful of a dry spell at the end of "the snowy season" and before "the rainy season" )I have just received a new pleated felt element , made in UK , as per Tecalemit dimensions and it fits over the irregular shaped crankcase boss perfectly and will therefore actually have oil passing through it rather than round it!

aldeburgh

Non-VOC Member
I purchased the filter from Burton Bike Bits ,they sell a 4" x 1 3/4" at £15.54 and a 3 5/8" x 1 3/4" at £17.99 (£2.45p extra for the Honour of riding a Comet with 3/8" less of a filter!)
they specify that the filters are made in UK.
I am in no way linked with the above company but can attest to their excellent service in providing a filter that fits the machine it is made for and filters the oil.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Crosland Filters

I purchased the filter from Burton Bike Bits ,they sell a 4" x 1 3/4" at £15.54 and a 3 5/8" x 1 3/4" at £17.99 (£2.45p extra for the Honour of riding a Comet with 3/8" less of a filter!)
they specify that the filters are made in UK.
I am in no way linked with the above company but can attest to their excellent service in providing a filter that fits the machine it is made for and filters the oil.

For what its worth, my original Crosland felt/wire filter No. 154 (for a Comet) is 3-3/8" long and nominally 2" diameter with a central hole a little over 3/4" which can easily be expanded to 1" if required. It's been sealed in its box for over 20 years and at the back of a shelf. Perhaps I should give the Comet an oil and filter change......:eek:

The Twin one was Crosland No. 153 with the same dimensions - except 4" long.

Peter B
Bristol, UK

Last edited: