Comet Oil Filter Woes

Matty

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This problem is solved now after VOC spares stock the felt filter again.
I had found that the cast "spigot" at the inner end of the filter chamber was not concentric in my Comet's crankcase casting so did no fit into the hole in the new paper filter.
So I simply made the hole bigger in a new filter and changed the rubber sealing washers.
This involved quite a bit of work with the risk of getting sealant and swarf into the filter when the end was removed and re fixed in order to enlarge the hole.
I am much happier now that the old felt filter is available from VOC spares and will change my 5 year old bodged filter for felt one.
Matty

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have been chasing an elusive oil leak at the front of my Comet for some time – on reflection I recognise it started after I switched from the traditional “RAG” type oil filters over to the new metal/paper units. I use liberal amounts of non-setting sealant(Hylomar) on the oil filter cap and am in the habit (because of the pesky leak) of checking the filter cap after each run to ensure it is really snug and check for leaks. When I got home from a run today it was still feeling snug BUT still leaking so I pulled the oil filter out of my Comet and took the opportunity to perform some measurements.

The depth of the filter chamber from back to front edge is 3.678”
The diameter of the central spigot (at the base of the filter chamber) at its widest point adjacent to the base is 1.005”
The diameter of the central spigot (at the top of the spigot) at its narrowest point is 0.91”
The overall depth of the filter cap including the compressed spring and filter plate (how far it goes into the chamber to make a seal) is 0.41”

SO – with the cap and pressure plate in place, with the spring in the cap fully compressed there is 3.678 – 0.41 = 3.268” available to “house”the filter element; thus to allow for some wriggle room it seems that the absolute maximinum overall length of a metal/paper oil filter element, including seal rubbers must be no more than 3.258”

The “RAG” type element as supplied in the past by VOC Spares, uncompressed is 3.31” long, and with mild compression becomes 3.18” long; so it fits within the available space, allowing the end cover to be screwed downand sealed.

The VOC Paper Element filter metal body alone is 3.27” long and if you include the seal rubbers (which you must) it is then 3.40” long – so there is no way a seal can be achieved, the bugger is AT LEAST 0.133” too long!
Another Paper Filter element, obtained from another source, but stated to be for a “C” series Vincent Comet has a metal body length of 3.18”and if you include the seal rubbers (which you must) it is then 3.32” – so again there is no way a seal can be achieved as this filter is 0.053” to long!

I see that the VOC Spares Company no longer lists the RAG type of oil filter for Comets so I am asking my fellow Cometeers – is my problem unique to my Comet? I am wondering what sort of oil chamber dimensions can be found on other Comets and what are the external dimensions of the Metal Paper oil filters others have received from the VOC?

For now, I have reverted to the RAG type filter and am able to achieve an oil tight seal with the oil filter cap with thread sealant on the threads and Hylomar on the angled flange.

Martyn Goodwin,
Although this is a very old thread 06/01/2013, I overcame this problem in the short term by taking a thread off the brass end cap PR4A, which gave just enough to tighten up on the taper, and without compromising the crankcase thread.

Last edited:

Matty

VOC Member
Wanted to buy a comet felt oil filter from voc spares to try but have found the shop shut and will try again next week
Matty

Matty

VOC Member
Just a question - what is a "rag type oil filter" - I hope it is not another name for the old felt one which I am hoping to buy from VOC spares and fit !!
Matty