Comet Oil Filter Woes

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
It is not the oil hole that causes the problem , on mine it was drilled centrally through the end of the housing , the problem is the boss through which the oil hole is drilled , this boss has a rough cast outside edge ( on mine it was roughly the shape of Australia) .
The lovely metal canister filter from VOCS would not sit over "the coastline":( unless butchered , however the felt one sat over it and was" in the sea " all the way round :)
It was my experience also that the metal canister/paper element oil filters from the VOC spares Co would NOT seat correctly within the base/boss of the oil filter chamber on/in my Comet - the miss match was so bad that I could not get the oil filter chamber cap to seal at all.

BUT V3 products, using my bike as a test bed, developed and now supply a metal canister/paper element oil filter that overcomes these problems - its openings internal diameter is larger to accommodate the vagaries of the boss location and shape plus its length has been slightly reduced for the same reason, but the spring is the oil chamber cap ensures a complete seal so that oil does not bypass the filter - while at the same time allowing for an oil tight seal on the chamber cap. The V3 filters do have a nice large rubber ring at both ends. The email address you are seeking for V3, as published in MPH #783, is nvidean@optusnet.com.au

Martyn

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
It was my experience also that the metal canister/paper element oil filters from the VOC spares Co would NOT seat correctly within the base/boss of the oil filter chamber on/in my Comet - the miss match was so bad that I could not get the oil filter chamber cap to seal at all.

BUT V3 products, using my bike as a test bed, developed and now supply a metal canister/paper element oil filter that overcomes these problems - its openings internal diameter is larger to accommodate the vagaries of the boss location and shape plus its length has been slightly reduced for the same reason, but the spring is the oil chamber cap ensures a complete seal so that oil does not bypass the filter - while at the same time allowing for an oil tight seal on the chamber cap. The V3 filters do have a nice large rubber ring at both ends. The email address you are seeking for V3, as published in MPH #783, is nvidean@optusnet.com.au

Martyn
Hi Martyn, I spoke to Neal the other day and he gave me this address nvidean@rsp.net.au

derek

VOC Member
Martyn. The answer to your problem is in the MPH no.772 May 2013: Page 13, it is self explanatory but if you require further information please contact me either through the Forum, or by e-mail. Cheer's Derek.

Last edited by a moderator:

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I wonder if VOC Spares Co. would like to respond to this thread. Does this mean that felt filters are now unobtainable?

davidd

VOC Member
Martyn. The answer to your problem is in the MPH no.772 May 2013: Page 13, it is self explanatory but if you require further information please contact me either through the Forum, or by e-mail. Cheer's Derek.

Derek,

It is a very good article and it may cover a majority of the problem. However, if there is a void in the casting or the pad lies well outside the kerf of the blade it is not useful. I am sure this is a small group of a small group. It is only an issue because the replacement filter is not a replacement. It is not designed to seal on the original oil filter sealing surfaces which are fine in 100% of Vincents, Comets and twins.

I am very thankful of all the work the Spares Company is doing and it is not a criticism of them, but this one product in a very small number of applications. The important thing is to look and check that it is working for you. This is something Derek did and he came up with a simple solution.

David

Matty

VOC Member
Hi
I simply made the hole in the rubber and in the metal part of the filter bigger and it went in OK and I believe it sealed OK as well.

The modification process to the filter was a bit of a fiddle but has worked fine. I have been told that VOC spares can now supply a filter with a bigger hole at one end for the Comet but am not sure weather this is a fact or an intention !!.

Matty

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
OK, I am waiting for all engineers in the club to to start shaking and weeping. My solution to this problem was thus, get yourself 2 x hole saws, good quality ones, you want one hole saw with the internal diameter a very small amount under the diameter of the filter chamber, just a running clearance, the other hole saw with the internal diameter a shade smaller than the internal diameter of the hole in the filter, use the large hole saw to make a circular disc out of a decent piece of fairly thick plywood, good quality, say marine ply 15mm thick, now follow through the centering drill hole with the smaller hole saw, now Araldite the disc that you have made onto the small hole saw, that will ensure that when the hole saw is used to remove the excess casting from the filter housing spigot that the spigot remains concentric with the filter chamber, hold your heads in horror, but it worked for me, you could make a positive stop depth gauge by packing out the internal of the hole saw but I find that unlike twist drills, hole saws do not have a tendency to pull themselves through so not really necessary, you can do the job in very little stages until you happy with the result, clean any swarf out, job done. There you are Clever Trevor, what do you think of that!
This was my solution to the irregular internal oil filter casting on some Comet crankcases, hold your head in your hands, but it worked for me, with the benefit that it can be done in situ without any stripping down. But in the meantime I believe the internal filter diameter has been made a little larger to accommodate the casting irregularity.