E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Put a standard nut on backwards turn end of required I have just left it.

I found another one in with the Vincent bits today when I was looking for something else. This one hasn't been butchered. No idea what they are for. Correct thread and size, but much more beef. It even has a small shoulder on the other side. Maybe meant for sidecar hardware? KTB "screw threads" mentions sidecar bracket in the same section as E80. (E80 at the bottom of the photo)

Crank nut.jpg

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
The DRO worked for mapping out most of the holes for the inner primary plate where it bolts to the crankcase. I ran out of Y axis, but was able to do all of the blind holes. The rest of them, I can run a centre punch through from the timing side once the plate is fixed onto the cases. I felt like I was back in chart plotting class.
Crankcase map.jpg
Crankcase map DRO.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Did the timing side two step today. Made a new driver so that when it stops against the straight edges the spindles are within the ball park. The photo with the layout of the parts (in sequence) and related tools, helps to give the illusion that I am organized and know what I'm doing.

Spindle driver.jpg

Spindle driver2.jpg
T:S parts:tools layout.jpg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Here's a better photo of the slide hammer which someone was asking about in the other thread. It usually seems to come in handy. Just has two nuts tacked together at the end to attach the standard thread to the spindle. The small alloy tool is to help align the oil pump housing, which didn't cooperate the first time. Had to reheat the case and give it a second go. Made the alignment tool while waiting for the pump housing to cool in the freezer. The bearing driver is actually for installing bearings in Norton gearboxes, but comes in handy when sliding the race into the hot case. It has a Canadian handle eh.

Slide Hammer.jpg

Steady plate.jpg

davidd

VOC Member
Here is a photo of the aluminum outer primary cover:

DSCN1732.jpg

The dome was formed to fit a crank fired ignition, otherwise it is unnecessary.

David

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Keep in mind that on some of the spindles - large idler for example - there is a thrust washer that does NOT slide over the spindle shoulder - it goes between the steady plate and the spindle shoulder. Trap for new players.

davidd

VOC Member
That is the ET173. The ET173/1 slides. True for both idler spindles as they are identical spindles. One is mounted in the large idler boss and the small idler spindle is mounted in the case. The large idler boss is two pieces. Aluminum idler bosses allowed the steel spindle to come loose from the boss or base. The Maughn ones do not come loose despite being two piece and they should be the current choice. The best stock idler boss is the Series D that is one piece, but it has not been made for years.

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
I used the one from Maughn, so good to go. Just in case you thought I was kidding about the cutting board.

Inner primary pattern.jpg

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but given the fact that this is my first Comet project.... what is this hole for?
Bolt hole.jpg